Help with clearances Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustardman

Oct 15, 2013
Quebec Canada
Hi Guys,

I need help with this one. It is my first time installing a stove and I have a few questions to make sure what i did will pass regulations. I have attached pics so you may review. I am installing my stove in a corner and I used steel furrings with Permabase. I know permabase is very questionable but it is spaced out from the wall and I just bought some veneer stone that will be installed all the way up from the hearth to the ceiling using polymur to attach them right on the cement board.

I need to reduce clearances as i dont have much room in my home and hoping that this will work Looking at the pics if I use a single wall pipe I will be about 12 inches away from combustibles. (the 2x4 wall behing my metal furrings) The hot air can still escape on each side.

Do you think this will pass and do you think it is enough to reduce my clearances by 50%

Thanks for the help !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 88
To ventilate the wall the furring strips need to be vertical and the wall needs to be open at the bottom inch or so and the top open so that there is easy convection behind the wall. But don't panic, your clearances are measured to the nearest combustible. That will be wherever the wood starts behind the wall. What is that distance?

That would depend on wether or not Jotul allows this. The manual will outline clearances. If they give a minimum clearance to combustibles then you need to go by that, it can't be reduced any further.
Do they give you additional clearance reductions if you build an approved wall protection?

Jotul allows NFPA protected surface clearance reductions for the F100 but this construction is incorrect for that qualification. Still it looks like the wood is at least 4"? behind so that is the measurement.

Yes they actually do allow to reduce clearances if you put non combustible materials. As for the distance to my 2x4 wall it is less than the minimum clearance but I am hoping this will be cut with the methods I used to space out and add cement board and stone veneer.

As for the single wall pipe i want to know if it is regulation to cut the clearance down to say 12 inches with my protection I put

You need 10" unless you rebuild the wall to NFPA 211 spec in which case the clearance will be 7". Looks like it would be easier to just move the stove out a couple inches. That's really not a big amount.

I will see where the 10 inches brings me. Rebuilding the wall would not be hard. DO you have the doc where I can get the spec on how to build the wall?

Also wont by stone up the front help reduce it?

Status
Not open for further replies.