Help with Englander 13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pka45

Jan 25, 2014
Franklin, VA
Hi all,

First post here, but I've learned a boatload from you all. I just picked up my first stove based on advice here, an Englander 13. This stove is unused, bought new a few years ago and put in a shed. I got it for $300, so I thought I got a steal. It is the Summer's Heat version, model number 50-SNC13LC and was bought in 2009-2010.

My question is this: in reading the manual, it talks about the ceramic fiber board on top of 3 steel burn tubes--my stove doesn't have this. Can anyone confirm that this particular year/model should indeed have the fiber board and burn tubes? I want to make sure before I call the guy back and see if he has it sitting around.

Thanks,

Pete

Yep. Without the reburn tubes in the top and the baffle board the 13 is a really nice plant stand. Make sure you have both before you burn in it.

What BB said.

Welcome to the forums !

OK, next question: here is a picture of the stove, it is slightly different from current models (I do have the door and firebrick). The air inlet is on the top in mine, and on the bottom in current models I've seen. Anyway, what is the use of the baffle in the second picture? It is weighted such that it only sits closed; to open it you'd have to hold it in place. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20140125_224441.jpg IMG_20140125_224417.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That sure looks like an Englander 12FP, not a 13 NC. Check the UL label on the back of the stove.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I hope the seller didn't deceive you and pawn off a 12FP and tell you it was a 13.:mad: Seems fishy.

I believe the 12FP is EPA exempt. Hence, no ceramic boards or tubes.

It was an honest mistake on his part--and I should have checked the tag on the back of the stove first. We've got it worked out and I'm shopping for a 13, again. Thanks all for the help though.

yes, its a 12-fp it is EPA exempt and is rated up to 1K sq ft max coverage. a nice room heater (FP stands for "Freestanding fireplace" its not a "whole house" heater by any means) though a nice little stove.

a tidbit, its the only 35-1 AFR exempt stove that actually has a draft control built into the stove. burns a beautiful fire, but if heating a house is the plan, she just doesn't have the muscle to do that very well. more a room heater, or ambiance stove than a serious home heater.

to the OP first thing you want to look at is the draft control. ay 13- nc built before 2004 will have a draft control above the door like the 12 you pictured, however the cover for the control will have slots in it where the 12 control cover is solid in front. later models are "mh" versions , meaning they have been engineered to accept an OAK which is a requirement for mobile home use. this version will have a pull rod under the ash lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.