1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

help with fitting glass door to Preway zero clearnace

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by brucew6char, Dec 10, 2012.

1. brucew6char

brucew6char Member

Loc:
    Sierras
    hi I've got a Preway BI36 - probably installed around 1979 that I want to add some glass doors. However, the bricks in the front of Preway around only 35" 1/4 wide, the frame is 36 ". No matter how I twist the frame, I can't get it past the bricks. If I could, I think the Preway is set back enough behind the bricks, that I think I could use the glass doors. I got the doors from bricks-anew and they appear to be very good quality, so I'd like to be able to install them..

So my question is, can I split the frames in half, wiggle them past the bricks and then splice them back together. I'm most concerned about safety, would the extra crack in the frames cause a problem. The frames aren't airtight by any means, so I'm thinking this is okay.

I would put the splice on the sides, about half way up so it wouldn't interfere with the rollers at the top and bottom of the doors. Attached a photo if that helps.

Be out of town for a couple of days with no internet. Will see if I get any replies when I get back. Thanks

Bruce

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    If you can get the doors on the unit, go ahead. Unless the panes in them are pyroceram, you will have to burn with the doors open anyways. Tempered glass won't hold up to the temperatures of a closed in firebox, so any gap is gonna pretty much be a non-issue.
  3. brucew6char

brucew6char Member

Loc:
    Sierras
    Thanks, that makes sense.