Help with picking an insert or stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToastyToes

Hearth Supporter
Jul 6, 2009
Midwest
I've been lurking here for a while educating myself reading through the postings. Here's my problem and I'm hoping to get some input from more experienced folks. I have a split entry house ( one story above ground, on story is a 1/2 basement). There is an old brick built in fireplace in the lower level, against an outside wall. The firebox is very deep, about 42 inches from the glass doors to the back. The chimney is located also toward the back, about 30 inches from the glass fireplace doors. Whenever I build a fire I have to push the logs all the way to the back otherwise smoke comes out. Of course when I do this I get no heat. It is very poorly designed, and there is also some negative pressure, which goes away once the fire is hot.

My first preference is to put an insert in the firebox, however, the firebox being as deep as it is I'm not sure if this will work. I was hoping to use the existing chimney for venting ( by installing a full liner). Will this work?

Can anyone give me an idea as to how installing a free-standing stove compares with retrofitting the fireplace in terms of amount of work and expenses involved?

Thanks in advance.

you are actually in a very good situation having such a big firebox to the fireplace! most of my customers want to get certain inserts, but can't because of fireplace sized restrictions. I think if you install a large insert in that thing, run an insulated flex liner to it, and let her rip you should be able to heat your house quite effectivly... i have never been a big fan of stuffing freestanding stoves into fireplaces, because the masonry sucks up all the heat, and if you place a freestander in front it takes up valualble floor space. also, you'll need more hearth around for a freestander in front.. a good insert will do better for you price wise as well . check out these inserts

lopi freedom
pacific energy summit insert
jotul 550 rockland

My fireplace was about like you describe yours. I put a Summit insert in my mine and I haven't used my furnace in two years.

I, like the OP, have a split entry and a fireplace at in the basement on an outside wall, though not as big. My wife and I have been considering the Jotul 550. I noticed the 550 mentioned as a recomendation for this type of setup. We have about 2100 sq ft. would the 550 cover it?

Toasty - what is the square footage of your home and what have you considered up to now?

Toasty

You are asking the right questions, and in the right place.

I recommend you give the "Guide to Residential Wood Heating" in my signature block a read - it will shed some light on your basement smoke from the fireplace issue. An insert or a stove of the right size will be a great addition- it will actually heat the space as opposed to yopur fireplace, which is mostly venting alot of air out the flue.

2orb said:
I, like the OP, have a split entry and a fireplace at in the basement on an outside wall, though not as big. My wife and I have been considering the Jotul 550. I noticed the 550 mentioned as a recomendation for this type of setup. We have about 2100 sq ft. would the 550 cover it?

Toasty - what is the square footage of your home and what have you considered up to now?

550 should cover 2000 sq ft

Thanks a bunch guys. My house is about 1900 sqft total for both up and downstairs. Also the top of my fireplace is flat, I mean, not sloping up toward the chimney or anything. Is that going to be a problem?

The liner will come all the way down and hook right to the insert. It doesn't care the shape of your old fireplace so long as there is enough room.

Status
Not open for further replies.