Help with Regency Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemac

Mar 10, 2008
Maine
Great Forum

I have a REgency Insert Medium 2400 ;
My question is the function of the metal tubes on top that have holes on them that look like the tubes for the outdoor propane grill

I will typically start the fire hot with 1/2 hour high burn then gradually turn down the damper to let the logs slow burn.
Only when I start up a fire with lots of kindling do flames lap up to the top around the tubes?

Thanks in advance

Tom

mainemac said:
Great Forum

I have a REgency Insert Medium 2400 ;
My question is the function of the metal tubes on top that have holes on them that look like the tubes for the outdoor propane grill

I will typically start the fire hot with 1/2 hour high burn then gradually turn down the damper to let the logs slow burn.
Only when I start up a fire with lots of kindling do flames lap up to the top around the tubes?

Thanks in advance

Tom

They are your secondary burn tubes. When the stove is up to temp (around 500 give or take) and you close the air down, the flames should be shooting down from the holes you see in those tubes.
This is what burns the smoke gases before exiting the stove & up the chimney.

Those tubes are your friend. When the stove is hot enough and the tubes are emitting flame, go outside and look at your chimney. You should see 0 to very little smoke coming out of the flu. When my Lopi insert is up to temp you cant even tell it is in use. Also, it took me a while to learn that dampering down your stove once it gets hot actually gives you more heat because the secondary burn is making flame at the top of the box thus heating the top of the stove at a higher temp...

I have yet to see the flames yet

I do not have a thermometer but I suppose no flames means I simply have not stoked the fire enought!

I do have some nice glowing embers so will try an overnight burn tonight

Tom

If the wood is dry you will get secondary burn if you get it hot enough. It is really fast if you have reallllllllly dry wood!!!

You will not have much if any secondary burn after the fuel has burned to embers. This thread may answer some questions.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/16214/
There is alot more to burning wood efficiently then most people think. If you have the time to start reading threads - even very old ones. You will be amazed at what you learn.

Thanks to all

I will check out the old threads
I am sure you have been through all this 100 x before!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.