Help with Resolute Acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carstonio

Feb 4, 2009
Maryland
I've been using a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim 0041 that I bought used a few months ago. When I first began using it, I was pleased with the level of heat that it put out. But in the last month or so, the level of heat has fallen dramatically, even with full flame, and it has become increasingly difficult to keep a fire going. As far as I can tell, too much of the heat is simply going up the chimney.

I ran the stove with the damper open for a while, but now I keep it closed as an act of desperation, even though the metal around the damper door is slightly warped. The middle arch insert is missing, and the two remaining arch inserts will not stay in place.

I've noticed that the wood burns better in the back chamber than in the front of the stove, and when shoveling out the ashes recently, I found pieces of white fiber-type lining that appeared to come from the back chamber. Whatever is directly underneath the damper door has deteriorated to the point where, if I try to open the damper, the damper door falls off its bar.

At this point, is it worth it to buy new parts for the stove, or should I just replace it? One workaround I've heard is installing a separate damper on the pipe to keep in more of the heat. Another is a type of fan that goes on the pipe to blow more heat into the room - I don't know how that would work without filling the room with smoke. Any suggestions?

Running the stove with warped parts is just driving it into the ground. Without seeing the actual parts, my guess is that you may need a fairly thorough rebuild. If it needs the refractory assembly + warped parts replaced, figure on several hundreds in parts. There are several VC rebuild threads on the forum that can provide some more details. Search on resolute rebuild for some more details.

Here's a starter:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12094/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11544/

Thanks for your help. I don't see refractory parts listed in my parts list - would these be listed as something else?

When did the functioning of stoves get so complicated? The stoves I've used in the past were little more than iron boxes.

Carstonio said:
Thanks for your help. I don't see refractory parts listed in my parts list - would these be listed as something else?

When did the functioning of stoves get so complicated? The stoves I've used in the past were little more than iron boxes.

When cleaner burning stoves became the law, different manufacturers tried different approaches. Some of these were more successful (and simpler) than others. I'm sorry to say that your early Acclaim model was one of the less successful ones. The VC Encore cat stove seems to work better and longer.

There are several stoves are on the market that are quite simple. Although I personally think VC stoves are amongst the most attractive out there, the bottom line is that I prefer KISS design, even if it means forgoing features.

dougand3 said:
Is this what you need - 3 arches?

or the box behind the arches?

It looks like I need both - apparently the ash included the remains of the old combustion package. Based on the cost, I'm not sure the stove is worth saving at this point. What sites do you recommend that cater to people selling and buying used stoves, other than eBay?

Carstonio said:
What sites do you recommend that cater to people selling and buying used stoves, other than eBay?
Craigslist, your local papers, or the classifieds here.

Carstonio said:
dougand3 said:
Is this what you need - 3 arches?

or the box behind the arches?

It looks like I need both - apparently the ash included the remains of the old combustion package. Based on the cost, I'm not sure the stove is worth saving at this point. What sites do you recommend that cater to people selling and buying used stoves, other than eBay?

Those part prices above total ~$300-$350. I have the exact same stove....would I buy those parts to fix it? Hmmmm, difficult ? It is a gooood looooking stove! But for $399 (clearance), you could get a new Englander NC-13. And reading specs - looks like NC-13 would perform better, repair parts cheaper, solid company. Lately, VC is not a business model to emulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.