Help with storage plumbing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be ok to header the storage tank tops together and slope them up towards a single automatic air vent?

Any other advice for me on the new drawing in post 53?

...just a couple quick notes. You only need to connect your expansion tank to one point in the system (assuming you are using a conventional bladder type expansion tank). Also, although delta-T pumps are excellent, the pump in your design seems to be redundant. If you choose to keep it you will need to make sure that it only switches on during a call for heat.

I would also avoid vertical piping into your buffer tanks. Even with some kind of flow diffuser you may find it detrimental to thermal stratification in the tanks.

Just some general advice. I hope it helps.

I'm not seeing the pump redundancy?

There may be times where you would be heating storage from boiler and the loads weren't calling for heat, and there may be times the loads are calling for heat & your boiler isn't moving heat.

I'm planning on doing a new drawing with the things changed and will be asking for advice on that drawing.

I'm currently redoing my drawing and have a quick question. Referencing my latest drawing, should my "HX to storage" loop be on its own manifold or will a single set of manifolds on my tanks be ok to charge storage and run to heat loads?

Status
Not open for further replies.