Help with stove decision please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the coldest days I will run the T6 around 650-700 °F during the full bloom secondary burn off. Then it settles down to 600-650 for a few hours. With a full load of locust it might kiss 750 °F for awhile. I try to keep the living room under 74. The rest of the house temps vary with heat circulation between 68-72. But it's all relative. When it's 15 outside and blowing like snot, 72 feels pretty good.

Sounds like your Alderlea T6 does you right. 650-700 for the secondary burn, I like that. How lond does she stay that hot? Is that temp on the stove top, or the stove pipe? I'm kinda liking that over the Isle Royal a little for the lower clearances and the sealed baffle.

These are stove top temps. The full out secondary burn time depends on the wood. We burn mostly softwood, the locust was a lucky scrounge find. With doug fir the secondary burn time is around an hour or two long depending on the wood. I tend to burn large splits in the 8-10" thick range. That gives me a nice long burn down in the 650-600 range before the next refill.

Note that the T6 is a convective stove. If a blower is used, the stove top temps will be about 100 deg. lower. Normally I don't need to use the blower and just use it in the coldest weather. The blower is an expensive option, but it seems to be a high quality unit and is quite quiet with only moderate noise at the highest setting.

I also like to burn thisk splits, and rarely use a fan on the stove I have now. Do you know the rough price of the T6 compared to the Summit or the Summit Classic?

Just my two cents, i was checking out the thread and sort of agree with tht few others taht the enerzone seems to be quite interesting. I've checked out their web site and it says that it has a large 3.4 cubic-foot firebox that holds holds 22-inch logs great for n/s. The moulded baffle in C-Cast, the weighted average of particulate emissions comes to less than 3.9 g/hr., a 5/16'' steel top and a blower. I'd love to check this stove out.

Just what is a molded C-Cast Baffle? How does it differ from other baffle materials, and how does it compare performance wise to other baffle materials?

Molded C-cast is pure marketing BS. I see nothing particularly unique or compelling about the Enerzones. I'd have a PE or Quad over one of them any day.

Stovemen said:
Just my two cents, i was checking out the thread and sort of agree with tht few others taht the enerzone seems to be quite interesting. I've checked out their web site and it says that it has a large 3.4 cubic-foot firebox that holds holds 22-inch logs great for n/s. The moulded baffle in C-Cast, the weighted average of particulate emissions comes to less than 3.9 g/hr., a 5/16'' steel top and a blower. I'd love to check this stove out.

How many have ya sold?

I'm not in the business of sales, I've simply seen it in my local stove shop and was truly impressed with it size and features. The c-cast baffle's that I've seen over time do great thermally, don't warp and can be replaced if needed compared to a welded steel baffle.

It is a big stove for sure. Though it seems like there aren't many new stoves with a welded steel baffle these days.

Did you consider Blaze King? It sounds like you're looking for a huge stove, don't really care how it looks since it's out of the way, and you've got money to burn.

The VC's - I just bought one thinking "Oh this will be a cool restoration project" and it's quickly turning into a hilarious problem of poorly written manuals and weirdly bundled parts. I'm a decent mechanic and I even think there's some head scratchers in there.

The www.chimneysweeponline.com FAQ on EBT is worth a read, esp since you are considering the Summit/Alderlea. "The only company we know of that has solved the issue of controllability in a 3-cu-ft non-cat firebox is Pacific Energy. . ." with EBT. I'd be wondering what features the Enerzone has for controlling the burn of the 3.4 cu ft load.

I just read it, that is very cool. PE Summit is on my short list as it is. This sends it up a notch or two for sure.
Thank you.

No problem. Might be marketing hype, FAIK, but the bi-metallic coil auto draft mechanism of EBT sounds very similar to Blaze King's "thermostat." It seems like such a good idea, I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't using something like this.

Funny, my mail man just dropped off the PE brochures. One for the cast iron line and one for the plate stell line. Good reading, and very nice looking, usable stoves.

Den said:
No problem. Might be marketing hype, FAIK, but the bi-metallic coil auto draft mechanism of EBT sounds very similar to Blaze King's "thermostat." It seems like such a good idea, I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't using something like this.

Very different use of the bimetalic thermostat technology. In this case I prefer the BK approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.