Help with VC Winterwarm large insert-damper won’t close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

felicityfarm

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2009
United States
Hi- new to group. I have a Vermont Castings Model 2100 WInterwarm- love it!! I am having trouble this year with the damper not shutting when it is hot. It works fine when it is cold, but as soon as I get it hot (when I want to close the damper!) it won't. Per the manual I tried cleaning the nut, luricated with "high Heat Pam" and it opens and shuts better when cold, but still not when hot. Any suggestions? Thanks! Tonya, Winchester, VA

felicityfarm said:
Hi- new to group. I have a Vermont Castings Model 2100 WInterwarm- love it!! I am having trouble this year with the damper not shutting when it is hot. It works fine when it is cold, but as soon as I get it hot (when I want to close the damper!) it won't. Per the manual I tried cleaning the nut, luricated with "high Heat Pam" and it opens and shuts better when cold, but still not when hot. Any suggestions? Thanks! Tonya, Winchester, VA

Moving to the Hearth Room - the WW is an insert, and thus you may get more help in that area.

Gooserider

I had a problem with my damper not shutting as well. A part of the damper unit was catching the mechanism that closes it coming from the front handle. Grab a flashlight and look very closely back into unit right at the slide handle as you attempt to close damper. I had notice the point where it caught and took a round file to it. The damper is so heavy when it hit the swing mechanism is just binds up. I was able to file enough so the damper missed when swinging. It's very close so not alot of filing was required. You can actually see the mark where it hits if I recall. Has worked fine since, let me know if this is the same problem.

I thought about this some more. When you close the damper unit, you need to be looking up through the damper opening. Hard to do when hot obviously. Mine was seizing up even when cold. If you look up when cool, you might be able to see the spot where it hits, you can see even when it misses that it just barely misses the swing mechanism just as it swings close. At that spot you might then see the mark of where it hits when hot, this would be the location of where I filed it down al ittle. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.