Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tara

Sep 8, 2013
Southern Oregon
So we're looking into buying a basic ceiling kit from home depot as well as the piping because it's alot cheaper online. One question though - We can only find a triple wall kit online, and we want to use double wall pipe in the house. Is there a way that you can put an adapter on there to go from double to triple? What are our options? We're doing it the home depot way because we have a home depot card with no interest no payments.

Triple wall is only for the exterior chimney pipe. The interior connector pipe is going to be single or double wall. Although the terminology is similar, the pipe for connecting is very different from the class A pipe that begins as soon as the flue exits the room. Provide a link to what you are looking at for more comments.

Triple wall is only for the exterior chimney pipe. The interior connector pipe is going to be single or double wall. Although the terminology is similar, the pipe for connecting is very different from the class A pipe that begins as soon as the flue exits the room. Provide a link to what you are looking at for more comments.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Stove...ugh-Ceiling-Kit-SD9085/204344656#.Uj5mFj_W8vY

And yes, we wanted double wall inside, and triple wall outside.

It would be better to go with double wall Class A chimney outside, there are some triple wall chimneys out but they are inferior to most all double wall insulated chimneys in my opinion. Does Home Depot have Super-vent? That would be the way to go if you are on a budget.

Reactions: Tara
I don't think it's correct to say triple-wall is inferior. I haven't burned my new stove with triple-wall (DuraPlus) class A yet, but based on the research I did, insulated triple-wall and insulated double-wall should perform about the same. Both are insulated. Double-wall uses a thicker blanket than triple-wall because triple-wall also uses an air chamber. Double-wall is more popular because it has a smaller cross section and therefore requires smaller holes in your ceiling, roof, etc. Both types should maintain hot flue gasses and they are both rated exactly the same.

I am a little leary of kits like this unless they include everything you need and nothing extra. The roof flashing should also match your roof pitch. You may find out that you can save money by buying exactly what you need vs a kit. Describe the path of the chimney in detail from the ceiling to the cap so that we have a better idea of the installation requirements.

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/c...pageNumber=1&c=51&v=&sortBy=undefined&search=

You may find out that you can save money by buying exactly what you need vs a kit

I don't remeber exactly which one, but one of the Supervent kits I looked at cost more than buying the individual components ;hm .

I don't think it's correct to say triple-wall is inferior. I haven't burned my new stove with triple-wall (DuraPlus) class A yet, but based on the research I did, insulated triple-wall and insulated double-wall should perform about the same. Both are insulated. Double-wall uses a thicker blanket than triple-wall because triple-wall also uses an air chamber. Double-wall is more popular because it has a smaller cross section and therefore requires smaller holes in your ceiling, roof, etc. Both types should maintain hot flue gasses and they are both rated exactly the same.
Of course they are suppose to perform the same. They are both tested to the same standard.
I was referring to build quality and durability. Dura- plus is not a high end pipe by any means. I see lots of different pipe all the time, I just doesn't hold up as well. It'll work fine, but there are better options a available.
Air cooled pipe also gets lots of mud dobbers, wasps, and every kinda flying insect down between the walls of the pipe. Every time we remove a triple wall system it's shocking how much crap is in the pipe! It's a mess! I wouldn't use it on my house if I had another option.

Thanks for the replies, the only problem is we have a specific home depot card that we can use where we have no interest no payments until tax season, which means we front no money right now, and seeming how we don't have alot, that's a big plus. We can use double wall inside and outside, but my question is, can you attach double wall pipe to the triple wall kit? Home depot does not offer a double wall kit.

Here is the Dura-Plus kit and it shows the adapter. The same one that BeGreen posted. It snaps into the box and then turns a quarter turn. They don't always lock in real good though. If you use a telescoping section of DVL, it can be pushed up and then screwed together and that holds it in real well.

Reactions: begreen
One thing to check is your roof pitch. The flashing in the kit is for roofs with a 6/12 pitch and under.

Status
Not open for further replies.