Helping my Seestor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Got a call from my sister about knocking down a couple trees for her upcoming wedding reception. Turns out that the soon to be brother in law has a little 021 Stihl, but the little saw was just no match for the trees she wanted dropped.

"On the ground" was my only requirement. So - I dropped 6 trees (had a little fun trying to drive a post with one of them, but missed it by about 18" :cheese: ). Chunked up the bigger parts of the trunks so that they were manageable with loader tractor. Got a call the next morning: "hey, come get this trailer".

1.5 miles away, I pull up to the drive in the yard and:

I think I will tell her to keep this guy. He's alright. The load is all maple.

Edit: this pic was taken in my back 40 - took about 20 min. to chain and bucket it off of the trailer, and back home it went. About 35 min. was invested in this load (for me). The day was full of WIN!!

Attachments

• trailer2sm.jpg
    trailer2sm.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 363
Nothing better than a wood cutting partner that doesn't want the big stuff.

SolarAndWood said:
Nothing better than a wood cutting partner that doesn't want the big stuff.

They don't want any of it. They had a couple of friends that wanted the smaller stuff for fire pits, but there is probably two more trailer loads, and they want it gone. I GUESS I will just have to go over there and get it. The downside is that it is soft maple. Its good wood, but will burn up pretty fast. It is just so easy, its hard to turn down.

I still got to get into the pile of bucked up stuff and another pile that needs to be bucked (sorry for the crappy phone pics). Those are full of oak, ash, hard maple, and a couple of other flavors. I guess I better get to work.

Attachments

• pile2sm.jpg
    pile2sm.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 295
  • pile1sm.jpg
    pile1sm.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 301
I split it for the first time this past week. Even the 24" plus stuff splits like a dream. Seems to more than make up for lack of BTUs, especially that close to home.

SolarAndWood said:
I split it for the first time this past week. Even the 24" plus stuff splits like a dream. Seems to more than make up for lack of BTUs, especially that close to home.

This will definitely be easy working stuff. There ain't a bend in any of it. Straight as an arrow.

better keep an eye on it or Jay will be there making planks out of it

SolarAndWood said:
better keep an eye on it or Jay will be there making planks out of it

Man, if I had a mill, there would be a few of these that would produce some pretty good boards.

your BIL-to be is all right. You need to get him onto a bigger saw, though. It may just be me, but I always feel like two guys can do three times the work of one guy. Maybe you can get him burning, too, then you two can get 'er done easier....

Danno77 said:
your BIL-to be is all right. You need to get him onto a bigger saw, though. It may just be me, but I always feel like two guys can do three times the work of one guy. Maybe you can get him burning, too, then you two can get 'er done easier....

I have known the dude for many o moon, and he is really not the burning type. He ain't afraid of work, cuz he does it all the time, but I can't imagine him firing up a MS460 and chasing firewood. Thats OK cuz I actually like the "alone" time that firewooding brings to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.