Helping the wife cope.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
Bobbin said:
I'm the "skirt" in our home...
A stove inside a dwelling must be understood and easily maintained by EVERY household member old enough to be reasonably expected to understand the basic workings. It's just common sense.

(stoves are so easy to operate, there is NO reason for any woman or teenage kid to be afraid of them or not know how to operate one safely).

My wife and you are not from the same planet!

Send her over, we'll indoctrinate her ;-)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
oldspark said:
Bobbin said:

A stove inside a dwelling must be understood and easily maintained by EVERY household member old enough to be reasonably expected to understand the basic workings. It's just common sense.

(stoves are so easy to operate, there is NO reason for any woman or teenage kid to be afraid of them or not know how to operate one safely).

You had better pack a lunch! :roll:

oldspark said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
oldspark said:
Bobbin said:

You had better pack a lunch! :roll:

Filly fits are my specialty. I don't use this screen name for nothing. I earned it :p

Darn women. Ought to be kept away from man things like wood stoves. Ya think pioneer women maintained wood fires?

Uh. Never mind. :red:

Women have been tending the home fires since, well probably since we discovered fire. That's why Hestia is the goddess of the hearth. And as my wife would say, don't you forget it. :)

Attachments

• Hestia01-l.jpg
    Hestia01-l.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 168
BOBBIN- GGoooGirl Girl Power :roll:

BrotherBart said:
Darn women. Ought to be kept away from man things like wood stoves. Ya think pioneer women maintained wood fires?

Uh. Never mind. :red:

BeGreen Posted: 02 August 2010 06:40 PM

Women have been tending the home fires since, well probably since we discovered fire. That’s why Hestia is the goddess of the hearth. And as my wife would say, don’t you forget it.

You are both very smart men !!!!!

happy0198.gif

This was not intended to be a thread shot at women. So I'll steer us back on course if you don't mind.

Both my wife AND myself, need to be "on the same page" when it comes to tending the fire, keeping a balanced burn, and preventing any unwanted accidents on a small or devastating scale.

Based on a number of the responses to the content of what I wanted to post on the refrigerator, for BOTH of us to use as a guide, here is my revised list:

1. Remind yourself every day, while you are lugging wood, or cleaning ash: "I love to burn wood; I love to burn wood!"
If it becomes a "chore," you've lost the essence of what it's all about.
2. Get the fire going like you always have, and keep it going.
No fire, no heat!
3. Keep the wood dry out in the yard.
You can't burn soaked wood!
4. If you try again to cook potatoes in a pan on top of the stove, leave them there longer this time!
If you can't afford to wait any longer, use the microwave!
5. The stove and flue thermometers are just there to give you an idea of how things are going.
If the outside of either the stove or flue are cherry red, I'd back down on the heat if I were you!
6. Open windows and doors to cool things down.
The cat likes the snow anyway.
7. Wave politely at the oil man as he passes our house without stopping.
It'll confuse the HECK outa him!!
8. It's all about keeping the fire balanced.
I know it's been a long time, but try........
9. It's tempting to toss trash in the fire but don't!
I wanted that last issue of Yankee Magazine!
10. Be very friendly to the folks in the Hearth.com Forum
They are a useful and helpful bunch!

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Biggest issue I've had with our stove.........closing the Damper (air inlet) all the way seems to snuff out the fire.........I have to be careful with it. Don't know "why" it snuffs things out, because I would think that even when fully closed, I'd imagine that there is SOME airflow (I need to look at the inner airflow patterns as designed by the manufacturer to confirm this).

-Soupy1957
Your wood is not as dry as you think it is fleshly split your wood then check with moisture meter. if your at 15% at the end of the split your more likely to be around 30 - 20% on a fresh split.

Status
Not open for further replies.