Hemlock?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
I split this stuff up about a year ago and was wondering if this was hemlock. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 269
Hard to tell by the pics but it looks like White Pine to me

I'd say the pictures don't rule out Hemlock, but aren't exactly distinctive. The bark looks like Hemlock, and wood looks like some sort of softwood, so maybe Hemlock.

I would say white pine

It does look like some sort of pine, but there are not many places that I see branch knots. So it could be....

Adios Pantalones said:
Yes, hemlockey is word.

Money!

(yes, I am down with my bad self)

Pinus sylvestris or Scotch Pine is my guess. The bark looks a bit thin to be a fire hardy tree like Pinus strubus (White Pine). It also has red touches and Scotch pine bark is red at the top of the tree. Without a closeup of the buds or needles it's hard to say for sure though.

Say, you didn't happen to notice the color of the bud, number of needles per bunch or whether they were twisted or snapped when you bent them... :lol:

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.