Heritage 8022 torsion spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

buckeye_girl

Feb 5, 2018
Ohio
Newbie to the forums here. We have a Hearthstone Heritage 8022 that's two years old. The torsion spring on the side door broke last week. I searched the forums and found some posts from two years ago that let me know this is a known problem for this model and seems to happen repeatedly. Like others who have posted about this I'm concerned about the stone or iron being damaged when the spring breaks or from repeatedly taking the door apart to replace it. Also it just seems from what I've read that it's fighting a losing battle. The questions I haven't been able to find answers to are: Is it necessary to replace the spring? What happens if I don't? Thanks for any insight!

I broke a spring and replaced it two years ago. Your stove will burn fine without it. I only use the side door on my stove so I like to have the spring in there. I only broke one spring.

I broke a spring and replaced it two years ago. Your stove will burn fine without it. I only use the side door on my stove so I like to have the spring in there. I only broke one spring.
We only use the side door too. We will just have to be more aware of the weight of it without the spring. May replace it once and see how it goes. Thanks for responding to what I think was probably a stupid question. This mechanically illiterate grandma appreciates it!

We only use the side door too. We will just have to be more aware of the weight of it without the spring. May replace it once and see how it goes. Thanks for responding to what I think was probably a stupid question. This mechanically illiterate grandma appreciates it!
Some of the 8022 stoves had defective springs. Contact your dealer. They should be able to get you a new spring.