Heritage air control repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaudet71

Nov 6, 2011
McFalls, ME
I suspect if you close it all the way the fire will snuff out. You don't want that. Everyone's setup and draft is slightly different. You will have to experiment a bit. Try closing it down 50% and see how it burns. If no change move it 75% closed and see how the fire responds. If the fire regains strength you may be able to close it all the way, or maybe not. On our stove I can not close it all the way until it gets cold outside.
I just had my Hearthstone Heritage apart and can state that the air control lever even when moved all the way to the right only closes the air door about 80% to comply with EPA rules. You can see that in this picture with lever in a fully closed position. The sliding door popped out of the lever so I drilled a hole and added a cotter pin to prevent that from happening again.
slide door.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen
Thanks for the picture and documentation. That looks like a good fix. I have moved this to a new thread to make it more discoverable in future searches.