Heritage Cartier I Fire bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dustyroades

Dec 10, 2020
Ontario
I have a 1986 Cartier I in my garage. I got the house last year so I don't know a lot about the stove, but I have used it a few times.

The stove has 5 fire bricks in the baffle, but it has no bricks along the bottom or side. There does not appear to be any way (notches or tabs) to hold side bricks. I have checked the manual online and it references a drawing for fire brick placement, but does not appear to show it.

My question is, should I put bricks along the bottom at least?

Secondly, there is a small plate covering a hole at the back of the stove (pic attached). Is this for outside air, and should it in fact be covered?

This is my first post... this site is an exceptional resource.

IMG_6429.jpg

I have a 1986 Cartier I in my garage. I got the house last year so I don't know a lot about the stove, but I have used it a few times.

The stove has 5 fire bricks in the baffle, but it has no bricks along the bottom or side. There does not appear to be any way (notches or tabs) to hold side bricks. I have checked the manual online and it references a drawing for fire brick placement, but does not appear to show it.

My question is, should I put bricks along the bottom at least?

Secondly, there is a small plate covering a hole at the back of the stove (pic attached). Is this for outside air, and should it in fact be covered?

This is my first post... this site is an exceptional resource.

View attachment 268979
I would add firebrick in the bottom and the sides. My stove has appear to be a designed brick layout with the sides wedging in after bottom brick are in place. Other posts on here show that you can cut the brick rather easily. If I we're you, that is what I would do. Lay bottom bricks in then Mark width needed to wedge in side bricks and back. Then take all the marked bricks out and cut them, then reassemble.