Heritage Corner Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy

Sep 15, 2008
Fallon, NV
First of all I just want to say that this forum is awesome! While waiting for the installation of my Heritage, I have been spending so much time in here!

When my husband & I ordered the Heritage, the sales rep wrote us up for a 48" corner pad (Graysen). After seeing the price of the pad, we decided to shop around to get a better deal. We found a 48" corner pad which measures 60" from corner to front of the pad. After bringing it home I went on Hearthstone's website and discovered the measurement should be 65". Should we get a larger corner pad, or will the installers move the pad 5"away from the wall? I don't recall seeing any extensions at the local hardware store.

Also, I am concerned about accessing the side door if the stove is 12" from the wall as recommended. The sales rep said that there will be enough room, but I'm having a difficult time visualizing it! Although we prefer that the stove is located in the corner, would it be better to have it on a straight wall?

I appreciate any suggestions because I don't want the installers driving 60 miles to our house and then say "Oops...you have the wrong size pad!"

Welcome Windy. The stove needs to be offset in order to allow clearance for the side door. 12" as measured from the back corner to the wall is correct. I'd recommend downloading the Heritage manual from Hearthstone's site. It has a lot of installation information that will help you. I agree a stock corner pad may not work out unless it is large enough to accommodate the side door. Here's a shot from the Heritage manual for clearances:

According to Tom's website, you'll need an extra deep pad if you want the stove centered on the corner.
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/chsher.htm

Attachments

• heritage_clearances.jpg
    heritage_clearances.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 447
Thanks for such a quick response BeGreen! It appears to me that a corner pad will not extend far enough for the side door. Guess we'll get a straight pad. Maybe I can have the guys move the stove to the corner and then to the straight wall to see which location looks the best! LOL

Hearthstone sells a kit which allows you to lock off the side door and use the front only in the event that your hearth is not sufficiently large on the side. That would be an extreme shame since the side door is freaking wonderful.

Highbeam said:
...the side door is freaking wonderful.

You have any strong opinions about it, highbeam? :lol: Rick

I thought it was silly at first to have two doors on a stove. I like simplicity and another set of hinges, a gasket, and less soapstone seemed like drawbacks. We started by using the front door with every start and also cleaned the glass to perfection with each new fire. We quickly realized that loading through the extra large front glass door was a bad idea since it is easy to suck smoke out while doing this and also the logs are much harder to pitch in there sideways in an orderly fashion. The side door allows you to stack logs the same way that you would fill the bed of your truck with 2x6 lumber, line em up and shove them in, keeping your fingers from being smashed and allowing you to set the load down sooner. Not to mention the smoke isn't in your face and the wood can't roll out. The final straw for the front door is that the heritage likes to load the bottom of the door with ash, this ash will dump out onto your hearth when you open the front door, totally missing the little ash lip.

I could survive with a locked off front door but the locked off side door would be a deal breaker. Bloody wonderful that side door is.

Status
Not open for further replies.