HF Electric Log splitter tripping breaker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tdot_steve

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This is the "5 ton" model from Harbor Freight. This is my 3rd year using it. For big jobs I tend to use my neighbours gas splitter. I've split what I estimate to be around 5 bush cords with this electric splitter.

Anyways, it always worked fine until 3 weeks ago when it tripped the breaker on my GFI outlet in the middle of splitting. Now when I reset it will run for around 3 seconds and then trips the breaker again. I google'd the issue and it seems some people with a similar issue replaced the capacitor. I found someone locally that had the same size capacitor and replaced it. Unfortunately I still get the same issue. I also tried plugging in directly with no extension cord and got the same result.

Does anyone have any ideas? I guess it's likely the motor at this point? Is there anywhere that sells a direct replacement?

Replace the outlet. Is it a 15a or 20a?

Is it tripping the outlet or the breaker?

Hmm. If it is tripping the breaker also, i would suspect the motor like you stated. Finding the right motor with same mounts, rpm, voltage, rotation and hp could prove difficult or may cost as much as a new splitter from HF. I have used http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/ for fan motors with fast delivery.