Hi everyone! Question about older Vermont Casting inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syd

Sep 26, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hey all, found this forum and it looks like a great source of info. I'm looking at purchasing a used VC winter warm 2080 (small) insert to supplement our heating in our 2500sqft house. The stove was purchased new in 1999 and I read some pretty bad reviews about the "small" winter warm stoves from around the 2006 year. Are the older ones any better? Did the design change somewhere between 99 and 06? I'm looking at PE and Jotul inserts as well. Our budget is a bit tight so I'm trying to avoid dropping +$2k on a brand new unit. Any info or recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

This is a full sized house in a cold climate. Unless this fireplace is in a smaller, closed-off room I would strongly consider going for a dependable, larger insert. It will cost more, but it will get the job done so that the payback is quicker.

The winter warm "small" is exactly that...small. A 2500 sqft house will suck up a bunch more heat than this stove will produce. If only intended as a room heater it may be just fine. If you are really looking to supplement a good percentage of heat, I would suggest to keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.