Hi just wanted to introduce myself..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
My name is Rusty and i've been burning stuff since i was 6, i'm 55 now. I have been coming to this site for many years now.some great things happen here! Right now I'm in the market for a stove. I've heated my 2000sq. ranch with a regencey middle of the range insert firplace model.I have the basement plumbed for a stove (hole cored thimble installed ready to go up the side of the house.)I 'm looking at a Hearhstone Mansfield to put in the basemement. It's un finished and I know the concrete will suck up a lot. but what do you guys think.I have holes cut and vents installed for the bedrooms above the stove. I have had stoves in the basement before but this is the last stove i'm buying to put down there. I could bore you with bad choices but I WON'T.
Rusty

Welcome Rusty. It may be fine if the intent is to heat the basement. If the intent is to heat upstairs we'll need more info. Does the 2000 sq ft include the basement area? How open a floorplan? How will the heat get upstairs?

PS: If you are using a cord of wood a month to heat from the basement, figure one cord going to heat outdoors in an uninsulated basement over the course of the winter. Caulk the sill, and fiberglass insulate there. Then glue some rigid insulation on the walls and you will see a world of difference in heat retained.

Welcome Rusty. Your right the bare basement walls will steal much of the heat, but if you put up some 1" styro insulation you basement will be nice and toasty. You should also see some heat rise above depending on your house layout, the more open the better and also where your stove is located, the closer to the stairwell the better.

curious to know what the sq footage is as well if or not including the basement, BTW cutting passive vents in the floor is taboo these days(code vioation ) unless you install vents with fusable links which would drop covers and seal them in event of a fire.

on the lighter side, welcome to the hearth, there is no better source for information available that i know of.

Hey Hey.....
Having a nice stove like that in a basement will end up costing you more wood (and BTUs) in to so the same job as a stove in the living area. Most of us suggest going with a central heater if you want to heat from the basement....

The lack of actual delivered efficiency to the home is a good argument against basement stoves....maybe another thing if it is just for emergencies, etc...

windsor locks here ;-)

Welcome to the forum Rusty.

I like heating a basement if it is insulated. If not, then all the heat goes into the walls. If there is a way to get that heat upstairs, then it is good. All depends.

Also, I still prefer the Woodstock stoves over the Hearthstone. Hearthstone is good, but they too have had some bad problems.

Thanks for all the replys. The basement is 25by32 and will be finished off soon.Ihave used a fan at the bottom ff the stairs to blow the heat up.The house itself is your basic 1958 ranch.Only trying to heat 5 rooms.The Regencey insert in the fireplace in the living room keeps the front of the house warm but it's the bedrooms down the hall at the back of the house that get cold
The stove in the basement would be under these bedrooms and have kept them warm in the past. It's nice to walk around in your barefeet on warm floors.
Thanks -Rusty

Well, it sounds like you know the general riff. The Hearthstone will give you longer burns with it's greater capacity.

However, I would put the fan at the top of the stair, low and blowing down towards the stove instead. That will work much more with getting a good convective loop going. Same for the bedrooms. You want a fan at that farthest point of the hallway, set low on the floor, blowing towards the stove to achieve the best circulation. A box fan on low speed works well for this.

FWIW, I'd insulate the walls now and try the Regency with the suggested fan mods first. It may be that it works at least 30% better. If so, do you need a new stove? (Note, I didn't ask if you want a new stove. ;-). That's a whole nuther discussion.)

Hi Rusty,I have a similar set up with a stove (woodstock on it's way) for the first floor and a Mansfield in the cellar at the rear of the house.My cellar is not insulated yet however the Mansfield gave off enough heat that it was coming up the cellar steps into the kitchen.I don't have any grates in the floor though I'll put one in before this winter.Once this cellar is insulated the amount of heat that's retained will be scary.The Mansfield also once it gets going will burn so hot that you won't have to open a cellar door or window to reverse the negative draft after a overnight burn just refill and off you go.I'd also use a pipe damper if your draft is very strong as mine is.Go for the Mansfield it'll be wonderful.

I'd go for the insulation first, it's a lot cheaper. And pays off no matter what you're heating with.

Big firebox=long lasting =heat-soapstone. But do yourself a favor , and finish off the basement,.

Status
Not open for further replies.