Hickory doesn't like me.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you heal up quickly! Let me know if you want me and my maul to come down there and give you a hand.

Thanks everyone - smoking some ribs does sound like just rewards! :)

My hand is stiff & achy this morning, but hey, pain reminds you that you are still alive, right? Ha! Ha!

Hubby & I are working on the oak this morning - taking a noon break after a monster oak round. I'll post a pic in a separate post.

Blades: I will pm you my # - but I might not hear the phone ring considering the splitter will be running most of the day.

Shari

I was re-splitting some gorgeous red oak early this year with dad's hydraulic splitter. A lot of it was those pieces that you just had to touch the blade to and it would crack apart into perfect, flat splits. Well, I put a piece up there and as soon as the ram touched it, it flew apart into these two equal, perfect splits...one of which just happened to be exactly at crotch level with me. O.M.G. I hit the ground and did not get up for a few minutes. I try to watch how I stand now when I am splitting red oak. :lol:

I have never used a power splitter - are injuries common? I figured hand splitting would be more dangerous because you're swinging a heavy and sharp tool over your head, but I have not been injured splitting by hand. Maybe power splitters are actually more dangerous.

Power splitters are not any more or less dangerous than a swinging maul/axe. handles break, heads come off, and they sometimes bounce off a round ( not too mention poor aim on the operators part). Additionally the steel wedges if not kept dressed will let a piece of themselves fly. Both are tools and all tools command respect and can cause a serious injury if improperly used.

Yes you can have rounds which are stubborn and then give in rather suddenly, If I have one of those I slow down and wait rather than just jamming it more. There is some rather impressive energy that can be stored up.

Status
Not open for further replies.