Hickory - to burn or sell/trade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I may be having a decent size hickory down. I expect it could yield 1/3-1/2 cord or more once processed. Now I've had more than one person talk about what a shame it would be to use it for firewood when it makes such good smoker/BBQ wood... I don't actually do much wood cooking (4 small kids makes the gas grill much more practical even for someone who cuts wood for the home heat, go figure).

So the question is does anyone have any practical experience selling and/or trading wood from such a tree? Is it even worth the bother or should I just cut to my preferred length and add to the stacks...

Dunno. I s'pose it might depend on the market demand for cooking/smoking wood in your area, what it might sell for, and how much time & effort you're willing to put into the venture. I'm not a wood cooker/smoker, but certainly "Hickory Smoked" is a phrase often heard/read. I can imagine they'd be looking for seasoned wood, and (unless it's a big operation) split small. I'd prob'ly start by checking Craigslist for anyone offering something similar for sale around there. Personally, I'd be inclined to cut it, split it, and stack it for me...and burn it myself. If I had a friend or acquaintance who could use some for the cooking purpose, I'd likely just offer some up for nothing. Rick

It's worth a look in your area. Go around to local restaurants and BBQ's to see if there is any interest in the wood. Also, check out any butcher shops/meat processors in your area that smoke their own products. Apple, pecan, hickory, cherry, grapevine, pear, mesquite, amoung many others, are all great wood for smoking or BBQ-ing.

Like fossil said, cut it split it and stack it. You can always put some feelers out and see if there is any interest for it from some of the bbq joints in the area.

Hickory comes in handy on the really cold winter nights. It has the extra BTU's to get through the night. There's no harm looking into the smoking market, but the payoff would have to be really good for me to sell my Hickory cause I have a limited supply. Good Luck!

Hickory is common here, but still sells for close to twice the price of oak (marketed as smoker/bbq wood). Most species of hickory around here are tough to split. I always assumed that was why it was so pricey.

Many of those who want it for cooking, want it cut with veggie oil. FYI.
I have no strong feelings on it. It's not my favorite flavor, though I love the smell when it burns.

Many of those who want it for cooking, want it cut with veggie oil. FYI.
I have no strong feelings on it. It's not my favorite flavor, though I love the smell when it burns.
I like a little of it, but you can 'over-smoke' when you use hickory. Other woods, like apple, I have never had a problem with it getting too strong. Hickory has that distinction. I agree though, I love smelling hickory when it burns, but apple wood smells the best!

Reactions: Thistle
if i could pick one wood to burn on a cold winter night here in upstate NY it would be hickory. or locust or white oak. my wife left the draft wide open on a hickory fire one night while cooking dinner and it warped the baffle on my stove. stuff burns mighty hot when its dry. as far as the market value for it in the smoker chips market, i have no idea. but you know, its all about finding a buyer.

when i make hickory longbows, there are MOUNDS of chips leftover. i just throw them in a bucket and let them sit out in the rain. when we're in the mood for a select piece of grass fed beef or a vennison tenderloin, we throw some chips on a hot fire and cook 'em up. @#$&ing delicious.

If you sell it, will you have to replace it with other wood?
Can you replace it with equal or better BTU wood & still make a profit?
Better save "some" for your stove, or you'll wonder how good it would've done in January.
Cut all the decent sized limbs for smoker/cooking wood too.

Reactions: Thistle
Yeah, like JB said above - most joints that use the stuff will have a supplier at their fingertips. Cold calling might not produce any useable leads. Hickory is a fantastic stove fuel. Me personally, I am ready to cut a couple of hickory's simply to chunk them out. Part will be turned into charcoal and the other left chunked for smoking. ( I use alot).

I would c/s/s it, then worry about trying to sell it. Whether you sell it or burn it, has to be processed either way.

There is most likely a market for smoking/cooking wood anywhere, the question is if the market is already saturated.

Yeah, like JB said above - most joints that use the stuff will have a supplier at their fingertips. Cold calling might not produce any useable leads. Hickory is a fantastic stove fuel. Me personally, I am ready to cut a couple of hickory's simply to chunk them out. Part will be turned into charcoal and the other left chunked for smoking. ( I use alot).

What do you use to make the charcoal? I've made a few very small batches and love the stuff, but haven't put a lot of thought into making a big batch.

What do you use to make the charcoal? I've made a few very small batches and love the stuff, but haven't put a lot of thought into making a big batch.

I am gonna go with a steel drum this time (55 gal). It should make for batches that are manageable as well as a fairly tight fitting lid. This will be my first foray into it (with the drum) so I don't have much "experience" to share.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas. Being somewhat tight on time (kids keep us busy) if/when the tree comes down I'll just process it for the stove, but keep it together just in case I hear of someone who may be interested in it. I seem to be keeping up with my hardwood needs at the moment so if I were to sell this off I would have other wood to take its place in the stove, but I certainly don't mind having more good wood.

This tree is blocking some afternoon sun from my solar panels.. as it has leafed out this spring I'm estimating I'm losing 5-8% of my production so that is the driving factor here... wood value is very secondary. We are not wanting to take another tree out, but if we need the power it is a lot more cost effective than more panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.