High burn at low setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlandbender

Oct 29, 2015
Cincinnati
Hello I have an Englander 25 pdvc/55 that seems to eat pellets even when set at a low of 1 or 2. Flame is huge and rumbles. Consumption is 30 lbs in 10 hours. Any help appreciated

What are the settings on the control board . heat range blower and the three bottom numbers .

I would try going 3, 4, 1.... and make sure you are in mode D
Or maybe 3, 6, 1 if your flame is dirty.

On 1-3, you should be able to get ~24 hours on 40#.......

Dan
I would try going 3, 4, 1.... and make sure you are in mode D
Or maybe 3, 6, 1 if your flame is dirty.

On 1-3, you should be able to get ~24 hours on 40#.......

Dan

Dan, I'm not sure what "D Mode" is. I did go to the 3 4 1 yesterday morning and yes it seem to be burning longer but still seems to flare up on occasionally. I took time and cleaned the stove and flu it wasn't really that dirty. I did notice what was in the pipe was real black. I will try the other setting you suggested.
Jim

Dan, I'm not sure what "D Mode" is. I did go to the 3 4 1 yesterday morning and yes it seem to be burning longer but still seems to flare up on occasionally. I took time and cleaned the stove and flu it wasn't really that dirty. I did notice what was in the pipe was real black. I will try the other setting you suggested.
Jim
Don't worry about the D mode... you are probly on it already.

The flare up, is probly due to when the feed stops, and then starts up again.
that is how the stove arrives at the lower temp/consumption.
It feeds pellets, then stops, then feeds, then stops.
I run mine in the garage at 1-3. And at times it just barely keeps going... then you get the large flame,
then back to low, and back to large... The bottom auger always turns, the top auger,
the one that gets the pellets from your hopper, runs on and off, to deliver the correct amount
of fuel for your settings.
Hope this helps...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.