High electric bill when burning wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is exactly why we still practice the "5 second" rule for food that falls on the floor.........i like to think of dirt as "salt & pepper"

Delta-T said:
this is exactly why we still practice the "5 second" rule for food that falls on the floor.........i like to think of dirt as "salt & pepper"

I will never know. My wife's fifteen year old cat can be off her bed, down the stairs and across the kitchen grabbing the morsel before my hand gets halfway to it.

And then slowly drag his self back back down the half like the most arthritic cripple you ever saw.

one thing no one mentioned was where is your refrigerator in relation to the stove, and how much warmer are you keeping the house. If the frig is in the warmest zone could be the culprit.

Pro DIY said:
This pass winter was my first year burning wood. I purchased a Napoleon 1402 insert. Pretty much burned 24/7 as I used it as my primary heat source. I must say that it did a great job, thought that I would save myself some money by burning wood instead of having to heat with the oil furnace. I was shocked when I got my electric bills for the months of Jan. and Feb. My electric bill almost doubled. Went from 400-500 kilowatt hours the winter before to about 1000 hours this winter. The only thing new in my house was the insert with it's duel blowers. Does this sound right? The blowers are just squirrel cage fans, I think that's what they are called, and I thought that they were pretty efficient. Is there anything that I should check to see if it running correctly? Would disconnecting one of the blowers help and if it would which one should I disconnect? Any info would be very helpful. Thanks for your time.

I just realized that your 'normal' electric bill was only 500 KWH, which for me would be a God Send at about $53 a month. So adding an extra $50 with the blowers, space heater, refrigerator in a hotter house, and heat strips on pipes could easily do it. I was thinking more in line with my $320 a month budget bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's enough to make you sick! Count your blessings!!!

$320 a month budget bill?!?!?! What the hell are you electrifying, a few welding crews and a production shop?

iskiatomic said:
-clothes are not hung on the line, electric dryer runs more

Do you mean a clothesline.........gasp, god forbid. I have been trying to drill that into my wife's head forever.

It seems to be easier to pay the bill than get her fired up about hanging clothes.

I seem to have finally won the battle at our house, but it took a long time... and she still sneaks some cloths in the dryer when I'm not around. :)

Wet1 said:
$320 a month budget bill?!?!?! What the hell are you electrifying, a few welding crews and a production shop?

Tell me about it!!!!! Welcome to Sunny Georgia! Two heat pumps, swimming pool, washer and dryer working to support kids.., AND the cold weather that no one believes exists in Georgia during the winter. Therefore, the installation of two pellet stoves.

tjnamtiw said:
Wet1 said:

Tell me about it!!!!! Welcome to Sunny Georgia! Two heat pumps, swimming pool, washer and dryer working to support kids.., AND the cold weather that no one believes exists in Georgia during the winter. Therefore, the installation of two pellet stoves.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I do believe you can get a 30% rebate on solar (i.e. photovoltaic systems) without limit on total rebate amount thanks to the same legislation that gave us the stove rebates... perhaps "sunny Georgia" should be generating some power for you?

Before installing our Endeavor, during the coldest winter months our electric bill would easily hit $250 to $290. This was using 2 heat pumps and of course all the other stuff you use in a modern home. I think last year we cut that in half.

I took a look at my electric bills for the past year, and I've got something similar, but not maybe so drastic a change. I seem to do between 500kw and 600kw most of the year, but I got up to about 900kw in Jan. It was a particularly cold winter, so I suspect the water heater and the space heater in the downstairs bathroom are to blame. As for the relationship to burning, I myself have pondered the effect on my basement. I have no OAK, and an uninsulated basement with leaky windows. I wouldn't be surprised if the draft was pulling lots of cold air into the basement, where the water heater lives.

Slow1 said:
tjnamtiw said:
Wet1 said:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I do believe you can get a 30% rebate on solar (i.e. photovoltaic systems) without limit on total rebate amount thanks to the same legislation that gave us the stove rebates... perhaps "sunny Georgia" should be generating some power for you?

Unfortunately, the payback, if you really look into it, for a solar system is quite long at 15-20 years. Same for wind power. By the time I would have that paid off, I would be too darn old to know why those panels are on my roof!
Now, geothermal heat pumps are a VERY GOOD deal in Georgia. The Feds give you 30% tax credit with NO limit on the system and installation and Georgia gives you ANOTHER 35% tax credit! For me, though, being retired, I pay little or no Georgia tax so it wouldn't help me. You can spread the Ga. savings over 5 years but it still wouldn't help. Besides, as my luck runs, I just put in a 15 SEER heat pump last year.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

madrone said:
I took a look at my electric bills for the past year, and I've got something similar, but not maybe so drastic a change. I seem to do between 500kw and 600kw most of the year, but I got up to about 900kw in Jan. It was a particularly cold winter, so I suspect the water heater and the space heater in the downstairs bathroom are to blame. As for the relationship to burning, I myself have pondered the effect on my basement. I have no OAK, and an uninsulated basement with leaky windows. I wouldn't be surprised if the draft was pulling lots of cold air into the basement, where the water heater lives.

You need to insulate that water heater with a blanket made for that purpose. Listen to me talk with my BILL!!!

Wet1 said:

The welders and my pottery kiln are out in my shop, which is on another meter!!! :snake:

Pagey said:
Before installing our Endeavor, during the coldest winter months our electric bill would easily hit $250 to $290. This was using 2 heat pumps and of course all the other stuff you use in a modern home. I think last year we cut that in half.

That's my hope also. I have two heat pumps as well and not hearing them run all winter will be non-music to my ears. My other big expense is a son who is in love and 'NEEDS' to take a shower twice a day. I should put a switch on the hot water heater.

tjnamtiw said:
Slow1 said:
tjnamtiw said:
Wet1 said:

Unfortunately, the payback, if you really look into it, for a solar system is quite long at 15-20 years. Same for wind power. By the time I would have that paid off, I would be too darn old to know why those panels are on my roof!
Now, geothermal heat pumps are a VERY GOOD deal in Georgia. The Feds give you 30% tax credit with NO limit on the system and installation and Georgia gives you ANOTHER 35% tax credit! For me, though, being retired, I pay little or no Georgia tax so it wouldn't help me. You can spread the Ga. savings over 5 years but it still wouldn't help. Besides, as my luck runs, I just put in a 15 SEER heat pump last year.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

After a little surfing, I found that the cost of PV generating has come down to about $7.60 per watt or $7600 per kilowatt so if you wanted a 4 kilowatt system, it would cost you about $30,400 for the system. If you got an average of 5 hours a day of full sun over the year, you would generate 20 kwh per day or about 600 kwh per month. If your electric rate was $0.10 per kwh, then you would be saving about $60 a month or $720 a year.. Payback??? About 40 years WITHOUT THE TAX CREDIT.

Solar electric is still quite costly, even with the tax credits. OTOH, if you're thinking about solar, solar DHW is pretty reasonable.

Wet1 said:
Solar electric is still quite costly, even with the tax credits. OTOH, if you're thinking about solar, solar DHW is pretty reasonable.

Yes, you're right. The only caveat with the tax incentive is that the law says "At least half of the energy generated by the “qualifying property” must come from the sun.". What that means exactly I''m not sure. Government Speak. Barney Frank must have written that one. :vampire: How you would even go about proving that you are providing over 1//2 of the hot water from the sun would be difficult. It almost sounds like you first need a solar PV house and THEN supplement it with hot water.

Well I guess the flip side of that is it wouldn't make much sense to spec and install a solar DHW system that didn't provide over 50% of your hot water needs.

Wet1 said:
Well I guess the flip side of that is it wouldn't make much sense to spec and install a solar DHW system that didn't provide over 50% of your hot water needs.

Yea, I agree 100%. It's just the Washington Double Speak that confuses me. Of course, we have the IRS of all people in charge of this so that means NO ONE knows what it means. :gulp:

tjnamtiw said:
Of course, we have the IRS of all people in charge of this so that means NO ONE knows what it means. :gulp:

So why worry about it? Tax auditors can't measure it. It is a loophole you could drive a train through.

BrotherBart said:
tjnamtiw said:
Of course, we have the IRS of all people in charge of this so that means NO ONE knows what it means. :gulp:

So why worry about it? Tax auditors can't measure it. It is a loophole you could drive a train through.

Yea, I guess that's what I was trying to say. Thanks.

FWIW, going the other direction, we made about 3 changes- stopped using the oil boiler in winter (fan), stopped heating parts of the downstairs with electric space heaters, and stopped warm water hand washing (electric HWH, not very efficient, either). We cut our bill at least in half compared with last year. The past several months our electric bill ran around 70 dollars for our ~1500 sf Rambler.

blades said:
one thing no one mentioned was where is your refrigerator in relation to the stove, and how much warmer are you keeping the house. If the frig is in the warmest zone could be the culprit.

We also have the 1402 and likewise began burning last winter for the first time. Our electric bill also went up, not double, but enough that it caught our attention. It was not the plasma as we had already had that for a year without a jump in the bill (that damn thing could heat our house on their own) but I agree with the frig comment. Our insert just happens to be in the room that is directly across from the kitchen and in line with the frig. Our theory is that the heat is going directly past the frig and causing it to run alot more than normal. In the summer with the air on we still don't see the types of bills as we did this past winter. There's also the additional fans that we were running to help circulate the air around the house but those were only on a couple hours a day. Go with the Kill-A-Watt; I know we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.