high flue temps???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Don't do that

Normally our flue temps run about 100F below the stove top temps. But... our blower is not normally running. With the blower on the stove top temp drops 100-150F and the flue temp equals or may slightly exceed stove top temp.

could the "vacu-stack" cap be creating too much draft for me out here?

Normally our flue temps run about 100F below the stove top temps. But... our blower is not normally running. With the blower on the stove top temp drops 100-150F and the flue temp equals or may slightly exceed stove top temp.
I don't normally run my blower either, and I average opposite of your temps. On the way up AND down. it runs the same always 75-100 degrees above stove top. last night I had the stove cruising at 650 for awhile and the entire time my flue temp was reading around 800 and lever was shut completely. I just wasn't happy with all that wasted energy being lost

could the "vacu-stack" cap be creating too much draft for me out here?
That's a reasonable question to ask. I don't think so, but would consider trying removing it during a a clear dry spell of a few days to test that theory.

It seems that the EBT flapper never closes either...currently I am just about to the reload stage...and with the front ash pan cover off I can see the flapper wide open still?

Is the EBT in the front of the stove?

That's a reasonable question to ask. I don't think so, but would consider trying removing it during a a clear dry spell of a few days to test that theory.
I think I will try that first, I have the standard cap that came with my class A still. I switched to the vacu-stack last winter with a regency stove because of wind-related issues and it helped the regency burn more stable so I kept it installed on this stove

The new style EBT is more of a barometric regulator. It sounds like a strong draft issue, perhaps due to steady winds.

The new style EBT is more of a barometric regulator. It sounds like a strong draft issue, perhaps due to steady winds.
ya like I said when its a "calm" day in town its nice and breezy out here so when theres any kind of real wind at all its pretty windy here. perhaps the summit is a easier breathing stove than the regency 2400?

ya like I said when its a "calm" day in town its nice and breezy out here so when theres any kind of real wind at all its pretty windy here. perhaps the summit is a easier breathing stove than the regency 2400?
Yes, it is.

I sometimes have higher flue temps than I would like and it's usually too much draft on a windy day. We've had some very strong winds this week, so I suspect you have too. I bought and installed a flue damper a week ago and I'm still playing with it a bit before I post my findings. It was a hundred bucks for an 8" double wall but so far my early results have been that I can control the fire and temperatures with more accuracy. IOW, less heat going up the chimney.
Hey there Doug, I tried locating one of those double wall damper assembly, but never had any luck around here. Can you tell me where you got it? Maybe I can order it online? Thanks.

Hey there Doug, I tried locating one of those double wall damper assembly, but never had any luck around here. Can you tell me where you got it? Maybe I can order it online? Thanks.
The manufacture of a few double wall stove pipe brands offer a short section of pipe with a damper pre-installed if that makes it easier for you.

What is the brand stove pipe Chuck?

What is the brand stove pipe Chuck?
The double wall pipe that I have is from Kent Building Supplies (basically a big box store). I think it's just a generic piece of pipe, as I don't recall seeing any brand name on the pipe, but I'll mosey on downstairs and have a look at it right now.

The double wall pipe that I have is from Kent Building Supplies (basically a big box store). I think it's just a generic piece of pipe, as I don't recall seeing any brand name on the pipe, but I'll mosey on downstairs and have a look at it right now.
The pipe is "Selkirk DSP."

woodstovepro.com has it also northlineexpress.com

Status
Not open for further replies.