High on Pellets lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VintageGal

Mar 25, 2022
NorCal
Got some N. Idaho "supreme" pellets that have a LOT of fines. Called the dealer and he said I'm the only one that has complained LOL He also said he called the manufacturer (after I complained) and they told him they had to shut down that plant because their vacuum system was broken! He told me I could swap my second ton for another shipment coming in --but if I wanted a refund he said he would "end our relationship" hahaha I shoulda, coulda, woulda bought the golden fire had I known these were going to be supremely dirty, but locally they are all out now. This is my Quad Classic Bay insert on high burning through the sawdust. I will burn what I can, then vacuum the rest out. I would love to see pictures of your pellet fires on high 🔥

IMG_20221214_140028537_HDR.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
That's on high? I can't run it on high yet. I run it up about 3/4 way a couple years ago, 'bought run us out of the house. Imagine the dial as a clock. It's in the 30s outside, we run it about 9 O;clock on the dial, if it gets down in single digits, we'll go as high as 11 O;clock maybe. Dial runs from lowest at about 7:30 to highest about 4:30 and it's rated at 40K. This looks like a 10 flame. If in the 40s or 50s out, we'll have it at idle at most, thinking of a shut down.

2020-12-11 (12) (640x608).jpg

Reactions: VintageGal
I’d call Northern Idaho directly and ask if his “offer” to “end your relationship “ was their accepted dealer action . My wood and pellet dealer carries NI products and has been in business since the 70’s. I doubt they would include NI if they didn’t provide good quality. Perhaps NI will choose to “end the relationship “ with a dealer who’s not interested in customer satisfaction. I researched their pressed logs on the NI website and they appear to be a very good company.
perhaps you got a poor dealership?

That's on high? I can't run it on high yet. I run it up about 3/4 way a couple years ago, 'bought run us out of the house. Imagine the dial as a clock. It's in the 30s outside, we run it about 9 O;clock on the dial, if it gets down in single digits, we'll go as high as 11 O;clock maybe. Dial runs from lowest at about 7:30 to highest about 4:30 and it's rated at 40K. This looks like a 10 flame. If in the 40s or 50s out, we'll have it at idle at most, thinking of a shut down.

View attachment 305227
I don't run my stove on high either. Too hot! It's been 30° at night for a week and I'm normally burning on low with tstat set to 76°. Keeps my 1000 sq ft home toasty warm day and night.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
"I’d call Northern Idaho directly"

I'm going to call them in the morning. New stove and new relationship. I bought two tons and I opened one ton and stacked it in the garage so I'm stuck with that mess. The N.Idaho energy logs are his bread butter but he admittedly doesn't like pellet stoves. He said he never turns a bag over to check the quality. When I asked him to go out to his lot and turn over a bag, he was somewhat shocked and agreed that they were and inferior batch. He said he'd call me back but 3 days later I called him and he told me the company had to shut that machine down because it didn't have a vacuum. Small town, can't argue too much or I would cut off my supply. I am a reasonable and rational person and would have preferred a refund so I could have shopped around. But I will accept his trade for a better ton. The thing is, I think this dealership is probably going to treat me poorly from now on because I dared to complain. Next year I'll find a better supplier.

I'm going to call them in the morning. New stove and new relationship. I bought two tons and I opened one ton and stacked it in the garage so I'm stuck with that mess. The N.Idaho energy logs are his bread butter but he admittedly doesn't like pellet stoves. He said he never turns a bag over to check the quality. When I asked him to go out to his lot and turn over a bag, he was somewhat shocked and agreed that they were and inferior batch. He said he'd call me back but 3 days later I called him and he told me the company had to shut that machine down because it didn't have a vacuum. Small town, can't argue too much or I would cut off my supply. I am a reasonable and rational person and would have preferred a refund so I could have shopped around. But I will accept his trade for a better ton. The thing is, I think this dealership is probably going to treat me poorly from now on because I dared to complain. Next year I'll find a better supplier.
I understand the one local supplier issue, does he stock a different brand? There’s the one dealer with two locations within 200%+ miles here.luckily a good dealer.
So glad your pellet stove is working great!

I understand the one local supplier issue, does he stock a different brand? There’s the one dealer with two locations within 200%+ miles here.luckily a good dealer.
So glad your pellet stove is working great!
Knock on wood! The stove is brand new so I would expect it to drive like a new car for at least the first few seasons. It was just last week I learned the dealership doesn't do chimney sweeping LOL so I need to hire my own suite for the wood stove and the pellet stove both. With a population of 100K, my small town is probably a Big Town to yours 😁

i could almost guarantee that dealer did not call the manufacturer and tell them to shut down he is not going to risk loosing his supplier over one customer complaint. especially when you r version of to many fines could be someone else version of this is OK.

i could almost guarantee that dealer did not call the manufacturer and tell them to shut down he is not going to risk loosing his supplier over one customer complaint. especially when you r version of to many fines could be someone else version of this is OK.
My dealer did not cause the plant to shut down; rather the plant or manufacturer told my dealer that they had shut down that one plant (machinery) because they're vacuum wasn't working. But my pellet dealer did not call me for 3 days to tell me this information and then he got arrogant with me. I'm going to call North Idaho this morning

"Fines" don't make pellets dirty, as they are just pieces of the wood pellets. NI has an excellent reputation, for years, and are my preferred pellets, for years. Sometimes lots of fines come from the shipping.

"Fines" don't make pellets dirty, as they are just pieces of the wood pellets. NI has an excellent reputation, for years, and are my preferred pellets, for years. Sometimes lots of fines come from the shipping.
I called the company today and their representative explained they have two plants for manufacturing and one of them had a failed vacuum. They told me I was not the only one to complain, that had received many calls and they were crediting the dealerships for their plant failure. My pellet dealership is going to make everything right on Saturday and come and get these lousy pellets and exchange them for the new shipment that came from North Idaho. North Idaho has two plants and one of them makes super premium and the other plant makes premium. And the super premium plant broke down. I paid $835 for 2 tons with delivery in my driveway so, I asked if he could make it right and he's going to.

Follow up. Pellet dealer said he'd exchange 2 tons bad for 2 tons good clean pellets. I told him let it be a lesson for all to check quality first ... I kept one ton and he swapped the other for a good pallet. North Idaho people were so good, professional, friendly, easy to talk to ... Called my house today to make sure I was happy. They said they are selling 20 lb bags of pellets now so hope to do that next year I'm loving my pellet stove. ✌️

Reactions: 1kzwoman