High Winds...Any advice??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Here is WNY we will be experiencing winds from 25-35mph with gusts up to 60mph all day saturday. Its going to be a little chilly as well. With that in mind...any advice running the wood stoves???

Build a smaller, hot fire and let it burn out if it is not too cold out. And stay away from trees in the yard.

Watch for falling branches. I got home to a 3 " diameter branch across the driveway, 6 foot long. About 5 off spring around it.

Dead & seasoned, went right onto the stacks after I broke it with my boots :)

In high winds it is possible that you may experience a little puff-back. Just watch for it.

Same here today. I got the primary almost completely closed and it was cruising at 650.

Some days the wind is great for burning. Other days... not so much.

There was a three day span last year that we had heavy winds and wet weather that just made it a pain to burn. At first I thought I ran into a spot of wet wood in my stacks until I talked to three other people in the area and they were all complaining about the same thing.

35 MP here with 45 gusts today & tonight. The wind warmed up to 45 today & to get only down to mid 30°s tonight

I found that the wind cause the fire to burn hotter & faster. I use a little more wood. I turn the T-stat (inlet air damper) on the stove down just a bit when its windy.
The wind passing over the type of cap I have, must act similar to an airplane wing & the draft is stronger.

I've burned in 90 mph winds late last winter, stove was fine but it did burn the wood faster. I did lose quit a few shingles from the roof though.
Oh yea the tree thing, we were without power for 3-1/2 days, lots of power line damage. The wood stove never failed to put out heat & the house stayed warm.

You should be fine. You might want to watch the fire box & see if the same happens to your system: you might get stronger chimney draft than normal & burn a little hotter. Just turn it down a little lower.
My stove never overheated, just burned a bit hotter & consumed more wood.

Looks like most of us are experiencing the wind right now. It does not seem to affect our stove much if at all.

Were getting hammered right now with high winds. We burn a wood furnace and since theres a barometric damper on the flue, the fire always remains unaffected. When loading or down in the basement, I can hear the baro going nuts. This morning soccer games were brutal in the winds, but coming home to a 75 degree house was nice.

I'm south of you in OH and we are getting them too. Draft is so strong I can run stove almost entirely on the secondaries. Primary is closed to within a few thousands of an inch.

We have wind gusts to 50mph, temps around 48, or so. I have the stove going and we are almost down to our underwear. Bloody hot, but I love it, since I work in a cooler all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.