High winds-smelly house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Woke up this morning to a chilly and smelly house. The overnight load in the firebox had burned itself down to coals and not enough heat to lift especially with the steady wind and high gusts. After grabbing some smaller dry splits the fire took off quick but was a challenge to keep the fire going and keep the smoke from coming back out the stove and in the house. Everything is up to temp now and going well but the smell sure reminds me of my younger days partying in the pine barrens with a nice fire going. I can still remember walking to my room those early morning hours and being told to throw my clothes in the garage and take a shower!!

NW WINDS 30 TO 35 KT...DIMINISHING TO 25 TO 30 KT
Wind gust to 50
Temp with wind chill 14 degrees

Give the fire more air. You have to keep the flue hotter than normal so the draft can't be reversed by the wind.

But with 50mph gusts you may not be able to keep the draft from reversing if it hits the chimney right.

Matt

Yeah I've been running it with a little more air than usual today. It definitely will help.

It finally came around but took some time to get up to 450 degrees on the pipe. The steady NW wind really put some pressure on the system so I resorted to some smaller dry peices and that cut the pressure :)

OVERNIGHT
NW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT...DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT.

Looks like I might wake up to the same thing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.