Highest Temp/Most Durable Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike.O

Burning Hunk
Dec 20, 2017
*** This is for my MAPLE SYRUP EVAPORATOR running outdoors in the open with me there the entire time. ***

Both my wood stoves have liners so I'm not too familiar with stove pipe. My new evaporator is coming and I'll be using a blower. These things throw some serious heat out the stack and the name of the game is running as hot as possible. VERY common to have glowing pipes with the blowers on.

I just need a 90* elbow and maybe 3' - 6' of pipe. I'll use cheap stove pipe after that as heat isn't as hot higher on the stack.

What type of pipe would last the longest in extreme heat? Cheaper the better.

Wasn't sure where to put this. Mod move to where you see fitting.

Class a double wall insulated no 90 deg elbow, your going to need a T connector then 2 or 3 3ft sections of class A pipe

Thanks for the reply. WOW, I did not realize how expensive that stuff was. Its like $4-500 for the T and 48" of pipe.

Just get the cheap Supervent stuff at Lowes.

Reactions: Mike.O
Scratch that. A tee and a 36" pipe is like $140 at Menard's.

Reactions: Mike.O
If it’s all outside in the wide open just use 22ga stainless steel pipe.

Thanks for the replies guys.

If it’s all outside in the wide open just use 22ga stainless steel pipe.

Yes, wide open behind by back concrete patio, so even complete failure isn't a huge deal. You think that could stand up to potentially glowing red for hours on end?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, wide open behind by back concrete patio, so even complete failure a huge deal. You think that could stand up to potentially glowing red for hours on end?
If it won’t, neither would the expensive class A pipe. If you go with class A you’d need to come up with some way to hold it all up. Is it 8”?

I think you need to remove heat from the pipe so it does not glow red. There are numerous ways to accomplish this. Might want to put that excess energy to good use and heat water with it. You could blow air across it with a fan. I have seen inline heat exchangers for stove pipe as well.

You could use well casing but that won't be cheap either. Should last forever though.

You could use well casing but that won't be cheap either. Should last forever though.
Not if it is glowing all the time it won't.

Thanks guys. After looking over pricing on stuff I think I'll just use cheap black pipe and elbow. I'll have an extra elbow on hand and an extra stick of pipe. Hoping it holds up. If not, I'll re-evaluate next season.

Much longer than the other options suggested.
I wouldn't count on it. Stainless pipe will last a long time. I have seen well casing "chimneys" crack at times when overheated

I don't think stainless was still on the table due to the cost. Besides, I can't imagine anything with a thin wall would hold up to repeated use at those temps.

Curious, what are the evaporators are made of?

I don't think stainless was still on the table due to the cost. Besides, I can't imagine anything with a thin wall would hold up to repeated use at those temps.

Single wall stainless and well casing are not priced that far apart. And yes stainless will hold up pretty well.

I assume he breaks this evaporator down after the cook is completed for the season. Well casing and class A pipe will need supported somehow, making it much more difficult to set up and break down.
I've installed a few flues for evaporators. One was a very large evaporator, the arch was cast iron and everything else was stainless steel. It has 2 SS 8” vents coming from the vent hood, and a 10” class A chimney. It was installed in a 100 year old barn. Really cool project!

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I would love to see pictures of these. Especially if running at night!

There used to be a member here that that had a wood fire pottery kiln. The nighttime pictures were especially impressive! I’ve bought a few things from him. Its nice Stuff!

There used to be a member here that that had a wood fire pottery kiln. The nighttime pictures were especially impressive! I’ve bought a few things from him. Its nice Stuff!
I have a family friend down the road from me that does wood fired pottery. It is impressive but he said he is getting to ok to do it often now

Its made of steel. Insulation board on 100% of the inside covered with firebrick. You can touch the outside of the evaporator, It' shot but you can touch it for a second. Maybe 150*-200* surface temp.