Hiring a Sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiredup

Aug 25, 2008
Eastern Long Island , NY
Hi everyone. This will be the begining og my second season with my Jotul C 450 insert. I'm getting conflicting information on how often to get the liner swept. I have a Pro-Flex W605KA Wood Insert Stainless Liner 6 inch. One company said to do it every 2 years and "don't let anyone tell you it has to be done more often". Can someone help me out? I live in Suffolk county LI if anyone knows a reputable sweep. Thanks.

I'd take the time to learn how to do it yourself so you dont waste the money everytime it needs sweeping. That way you can check it once a year (like most people do) just to be on the safe side. There's nothing wrong with being over cautious when its your house and family that you're dealing with.

If you're burning well seasoned wood and burning properly you can probably get away with an annual sweep . . . some folks here have gone longer in between sweeps . . . but I believe most would tell you that they still check the chimney once a year . . . and many more of us check and/or clean even more often (albeit most folks, other than newbies, are not like me since I check and sweep once a month during the heating season -- namely because it's a very quick and easy task for me to do.)

If you are going into your second year, your wood probably hasn't been ideal (not soaking wet, but not ideal). I'd get it checked before the cold weather kicks in, just to be on the safe side.

I had a sweep come in the first 2 times, so we could watch & learn. He actually told me sweeping was something we could do ourslves to save some $$$'s. Now, we do. I work the lower half and I send one of the crew up on the roof to work the top.

Where are you in Suffolk County? A sweep in Medford won't do you much good if you're in Montauk %-P

I'll PM you info on the same sweep I used this evening after I get home.

I swept the chimney myself for the first time this year after 2 burning seasons. I should have done it last year. Even after burning seasoned oak, cherry, and locust there was still alot of residue. I was suprised how easy it was. Home Depot and Lowes both had the brush and rods in stock to do the job for about $60. I was quoted $139 for our local sweep for a cleaning. I have easy access to my roof and a 8" stainless steel liner with a "T" at the bottom to my VC encore. After thoroughly sweeping from the top down I was able to remove the bottom cap of the T and let the soot fall into a waiting trash bag. I was also able to reach in from the bottom, brush out whatever else I could, and shop vac up in no time at all. If you have roof access and the right supplies, I say do it yourself. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.