Holes in my gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1234

Dec 5, 2008
Colorado
I keep wearing out the fingers of my 10.00 gloves when I am stacking or moving wood. Most of my gloves now are decorated with duct tape around the fingers to cover the holes. Do you all use a certain type or glove, or do something to keep from wearing holes in them after a day or 2? Or is duct tape just part of the package?

Howdy Mike. I wear those cheap cotton gloves that the palms have been dipped in blue rubber. Then I take a pair of those torn up $10 gloves, cut the finger tips off and wear them over the cotton gloves. Like a little vest for my hands.
Brad

Yup...duck tape over the cloth work glove fingers here too. Only use real good leather gloves to load the fire, rake coals thing.

My leather gloves wear out, too. I do business with a Ranch & Home store nearby, and they always have leather gloves at really good prices, like sometimes as low as 2 pair for $5. Obviously not the best gloves in the world, but they fit and they last a season or so at least. I keep a couple pair of lined (winter) and unlined (summer) on hand, and just replenish my stock whenever I need to. Rick

I've had really cheap leather gloves wear out at the finger tips or between the thumb and forefinger. And I have had expensive deerskin gloves wear out in the same place at almost the same rate.

I buy gloves that fit and are comfortable. Cheap when I need to, less cheap when I can find nice gloves that actually fit without strangling my hands - which is not often.

Peace,
- Sequoia

keep them soft with mink oil, even before using, and it helps a little. soft leather flows and not tears or abrades.
but the cheap china stuff, less than a day often. the expensive china stuff, a couple days.

I help a friend with his wood business, so I handle a LOT of wood... What I've found works best are the stretch knit fabric gloves with the rubber coating on the palms and fingers, with the knit exposed on the back... Some versions are lighter weight fabric which is nice in the summer because it lets your hands breath, others have a thicker knit that is surprisingly warm in the winter, even when they get wet. (I've even started using them with the snowblower!)

They have a slightly nubbly texture to them so they give a very good grip - almost too good at times, they will NOT work with axes, sledges, and so forth where you need to slide your hand on the handle as they "grab" to much.

I also like that they give reasonably good "feel" - much better than the heavier leather work gloves, not as good as surgical gloves, but close... They have no seams to get in the way, or rub you in the wrong spot (a problem I've had frequently with leather gloves)

They seem to be VERY tough - I had them reccomended at one point when we had a bunch of broken glass to pick up in the yard, and they stood up to that. They don't wear out the way that leather gloves do, or at least not as fast - I get at least 4-5 weeks out of a pair, where I was going through a pair of leather gloves every few days. When they do wear out, I find the problem is the rubber wears down so you start getting splinters poking through, or you start to get a crack at the base of the thumb, but the fabric stays intact. I've been thinking about seeing if it works to recoat the worn areas with "shoe goo" or equivalent, but they are cheap enough that it might not be worth the trouble.

Another nice thing is that they are easily machine washable - they get grubby, just chuck them in the machine with the rest of the laundry - no problems.

I've been getting them at the local hardware store for $4-6 / pair, but you can get them on-line by the dozen for about half that, which I may do in the future.

There are several brands, but right now my favorites are the "Atlas Therma-FIT" gloves for the winter, or the regular "FIT" gloves in warmer weather.

Gooserider

I just buy El-cheapo gloves by the dozen usually for about $10-12, when I were holes in them usualy after 1 day of cutting wood then I just get a new pair.

Invest in a pair of pulp hooks (with replaceable tip) from Labonville.com...next to the "top down fire" one of the best things I've learned about on this forum. Saves a ton of wear and tear on your gloves, and back. Using them individually or as a pair - can pick up rounds from 3" dia to 2' dia. I also find them useful for dragging logs and branches.

mike1234 said:
I keep wearing out the fingers of my 10.00 gloves when I am stacking or moving wood. Most of my gloves now are decorated with duct tape around the fingers to cover the holes. Do you all use a certain type or glove, or do something to keep from wearing holes in them after a day or 2? Or is duct tape just part of the package?

I buy $4 Atlas nitrile gloves. They are very long wearing and cheap.

http://www.coopersafety.com/item/101017/Blue-Atlas-Fit-Gloves.aspx

Bigg_Redd said:
mike1234 said:

Same basic glove I was suggesting earlier - the blue ones you were pointing to are the cooler "summer weight" - These http://www.coopersafety.com/item/101265/Atlas-Therma-Fit-Gloves.aspx are the warmer winter version... This was also the source I was thinking about for getting them online - there may be others, but...

Gooserider

crazy_dan said:
I just buy El-cheapo gloves by the dozen usually for about $10-12, when I were holes in them usualy after 1 day of cutting wood then I just get a new pair.

I do that same thing, they usally last a day or two and then are toast!

It's good to hear the favorable reviews of the Atlas gloves. I'm biased since they are made by our parent company in their Malaysian facility, but I don't know of any glove that gives better value. There are knockoffs (some of which we also sell) but they don't seem to hold up like the Atlas branded do. The Therma Fit is an Atlas 451 which is the same as our Best Glove 3812 and the regular Atlas Fit is a 300 which is also sold by us as a 3841. I use the 451/3812 for wood handling and chainsaw work. These are coated with natural rubber. If the grip is too agressive for you, you might try a nitrile (synthetic rubber) coated Atlas 370/Best 4500. These are referred to as "assembly grip" which gives greater dexterity at the expense of a little durability. That's what I use with the maul.

I find the first place to wear out on my gloves is my left hand forefinger. Never been able to figure that one out as I am right handed and rarely pick my nose with my left hand. The rest of the glove is usually in pretty good shape so I have been known to duct tape that finger and carry on.
Yesterday at the True Value store found a real deal on deer hide suede out, 100 gram Thinsulate insulated gloves. They even have a deluxe knit collar to keep the saw dust out. These gloves fit and feel great which is rare to find nowadays. The glove is of such quality that at $11.99 I was sure they must have been miss priced. Sales clerk said "that's the price, just got a huge box of them in the other day". No name brand on them except the 100 gram Thinsulate tag sewn in.
Needless to say when I stumble on a deal like this the hoarder in me comes out and I could now be considered a No Name brand insulated deer hide glove dealer!

I find the the cheap orange work gloves from HD or the Wells Lamont gloves from Lowes last a good amount of time for me. They cost around $5 a pair. The nicer gloves wear out too quick for me.

Matt

Attachments

• t_1jl5469k.jpg
    t_1jl5469k.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 317
If you don't wear gloves, you don't have to worry about them wearing out. After a while your hands will be as tough as gloves. Just don't touch your wife and/or girlfriend with 'em. I wear welding gloves when use the saw, and usually go with out when splitting and stacking.

Gooserider said:
Bigg_Redd said:
mike1234 said:

Same basic glove I was suggesting earlier - the blue ones you were pointing to are the cooler "summer weight" - These http://www.coopersafety.com/item/101265/Atlas-Therma-Fit-Gloves.aspx are the warmer winter version... This was also the source I was thinking about for getting them online - there may be others, but...

Gooserider
I use the same type glove (different name) at work and home. Very durable and comfortable.

Where do you find these BOSS gloves you speak of?

KC

Flatbedford said:
If you don't wear gloves, you don't have to worry about them wearing out. After a while your hands will be as tough as gloves. Just don't touch your wife and/or girlfriend with 'em. I wear welding gloves when use the saw, and usually go with out when splitting and stacking.

I also just don't wear them unless I am welding, and even then only when I plan on picking up the hot metal. I somehow inherited a pair of those blue rubber atlas gloves and admit that they are an excellent glove for those of us that don't like wearing gloves since they allow good use of the fingers and a bit of warmth without feeling like you are wearing boxing gloves.

My hands are big and rough, the girls don't seem to mind.

I wrote that in April. I guess I already forgot about winter. I do not claim to go bare handed in the winter. I'm tough, but cold is cold.

iskiatomic said:
Where do you find these BOSS gloves you speak of?

KC

You may have to contact Boss (with the link given above) to find a local distributor. I am sure that where I get them, ain't gonna work for you.

I got 2 years out of my carhartt gloves 22.00 bucks off ebay no holes but they are shot, just got a new pair a week ago best i have found.

I wore out a nice pair of Carhart gloves in about 6 days of splitting and stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.