Holy Cow - Hearthstone!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I was out and about this morning and stumbled onto a dealer that sells Hearthstone woodstoves and WOW - those Hearthstone soapstones are a thing of beauty!

One of the models that jumped out at me was the Heratige, one in brown enamel and the other in blue enamel - just beautiful.

Also liked the door latches - just the way they felt. Though I would load a stove like this through the side door, I especially liked the front door, in my case, for having the ability to EASILY clean the glass vs the fixed glass on my fine Woodstock Keystone.

Based on my impressions of the Hearthstone Heritage in enameled finish, I may have pulled the trigger on one vs my Keystone - especially in regards to the ability to easily clean the front glass, which is a royle pain in the @#$ on my Keystone. Oh, seeing the large legs in person do not look as bad to me as they did in the brochure either.

All in all, a very nice stove. May consider one for my #2 chimney when I get to it.

Bill

leeave96 said:
I was out and about this morning and stumbled onto a dealer that sells Hearthstone woodstoves and WOW - those Hearthstone soapstones are a thing of beauty!

One of the models that jumped out at me was the Heratige, one in brown enamel and the other in blue enamel - just beautiful.

Also liked the door latches - just the way they felt. Though I would load a stove like this through the side door, I especially liked the front door, in my case, for having the ability to EASILY clean the glass vs the fixed glass on my fine Woodstock Keystone.

Based on my impressions of the Hearthstone Heritage in enameled finish, I may have pulled the trigger on one vs my Keystone - especially in regards to the ability to easily clean the front glass, which is a royle pain in the @#$ on my Keystone. Oh, seeing the large legs in person do not look as bad to me as they did in the brochure either.

All in all, a very nice stove. May consider one for my #2 chimney when I get to it.

Bill

Well, the Heritage is a bigger stove. It will heat about the same as the larger Fireview from Woodstock, except with shorter burn times. I wouldn't purchase a new stove just because the glass is easier to clean. From my experience, the Heritage can brown the glass more easily than the fireview (never used a keystone, but I have used the fireview) and when you open the front door you can get ash to spill out (doesn't bother me, but if you are complaining about how 'difficult' it is to clean the glass, I am assuming you might have an issue with ash spilling out).

Also, some on here have questioned the durability of the door latches. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great stove, but one man's perfection is another man's gripe.

I don't think I'd buy an new stove just to have an easier time cleaning the glass, but for my 2nd chimney/stove set-up - definately a possibility.

Love my Mansfield, but agree with others that glass cleaning shouldn't rank too high on a choice of stove. My glass gets pretty dirty on the bottom corners - needs some pretty good scrubbing to remove the caked residue (burning nice, seasoned wood) - rest of the glass stays pretty clear. Good luck! Cheers!

Love my Mansfield !!!! Stove looks great all 4 seasons ! Heats my entire home (2000 ft raised ranch) with an insulated lower level stove room. If you do pull the triger, I will pre-welcome you to the stoner club.

BrowningBAR said:
leeave96 said:

Bill
Well, the Heritage is a bigger stove. It will heat about the same as the larger Fireview from Woodstock, except with shorter burn times. I wouldn't purchase a new stove just because the glass is easier to clean. From my experience, the Heritage can brown the glass more easily than the fireview (never used a keystone, but I have used the fireview) and when you open the front door you can get ash to spill out (doesn't bother me, but if you are complaining about how 'difficult' it is to clean the glass, I am assuming you might have an issue with ash spilling out).

Also, some on here have questioned the durability of the door latches. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great stove, but one man's perfection is another man's gripe.

Browning,
I also have 'issues' with my glass getting dirty quickly---I was thinking I was doing something really really wrong....
it gets foggy no matter what I do (the wood IS good and dry--stovetop temp apx 450*). So, maybe I'm not doing anything
truly wrong? It's just the way the stove burns? Please tell me what you know about it! :) THANKS!!

We came close to buying that stove. It is pretty. Glad we bought the Fireview though.

I like my heritage. I it currently do a great job keeping the house warm. Latches are better now than when I first bought it. I replaced all of them. I have not really had a problem with the glass getting dirty. I don't clean it very often though(First time for the year was yesterday for company since it was Thanksgiving) I don't use the front door much at all. Just load and clear ashes out of the side door, which I love.

I haven't opened the front door yet this season and we've been burning since mid October. Good wood in the heritage leaves clean glass, only some fly ash settles on the glass that I will wipe off from the side door access if I really get bored. No ash spills from the side door and it is easy to start and tend fires from there.

The latches work great unless they break. The door side of the latch isn't the problem it is the catch on the stove. It is just a slot ground out of the frame and has been known to wear out with time leading to sudden and unfixable failure. I've got almost 20 cords through my heritage without failure in but it makes me nervous and is the only shortcoming of this stove.

Due to the good looks of this stove, I am not likely to get wife approval for a blaze king. If I had just brought a BK home from the start then it would been fine. The stone stoves grow on you. People seem to love it and can't believe that it is hot. Many have actually walked up and touched it like they would a granite countertop and been scorched. Ha! These stone stoves aren't so hot as to burn with one touch.

Great stoves I would consider in the future are the keystone, fireview, and BK. If I had to get a non-cat then the hearthstones would be high on the list IF they fix the latch situation.

Yeah, the Heritage is a great looking stove. 7 years ago I went into a shop to buy one but they had a great deal on floor model Homestead that was too good to pass up. I still wonder if I would of bought the Heritage if it would still be here instead of the Fireview which replaced the Homestead?

shawneyboy said:
Love my Mansfield !!!! Stove looks great all 4 seasons ! Heats my entire home (2000 ft raised ranch) with an insulated lower level stove room. If you do pull the triger, I will pre-welcome you to the stoner club.

This one made me chuckle... Stoner club. I like that.

We love our heritage. 4th season of burning at our cabin and going strong. It is true that if you open the front door ash falls out. This happens even if you think you cleaned it first. Not big deal though to me. We use the stove as our main source of heat, and it EXCEEDS that. Middle of winter and our front door is open. We have a 1100sq ft log cabin. We bought it because we wanted a more even heat and it had to look nice. It has done both very well. Everyone that stops by the cabin comments on the stove. We opted for the satin black with a grey/green stone.

AWK

Highbeam said:
I haven't opened the front door yet this season and we've been burning since mid October. Good wood in the heritage leaves clean glass, only some fly ash settles on the glass that I will wipe off from the side door access if I really get bored. No ash spills from the side door and it is easy to start and tend fires from there.

The latches work great unless they break. The door side of the latch isn't the problem it is the catch on the stove. It is just a slot ground out of the frame and has been known to wear out with time leading to sudden and unfixable failure. I've got almost 20 cords through my heritage without failure in but it makes me nervous and is the only shortcoming of this stove.

Due to the good looks of this stove, I am not likely to get wife approval for a blaze king. If I had just brought a BK home from the start then it would been fine. The stone stoves grow on you. People seem to love it and can't believe that it is hot. Many have actually walked up and touched it like they would a granite countertop and been scorched. Ha! These stone stoves aren't so hot as to burn with one touch.

Great stoves I would consider in the future are the keystone, fireview, and BK. If I had to get a non-cat then the hearthstones would be high on the list IF they fix the latch situation.

Highbeam,
What's you "average" burning temp?

My heritage cruises at 450 with a medium load and 500 with a large load. It's all about flue temp with mine. If I get the flue temps up to 600 (probe thermometer in double-wall pipe) before bringing the air down, I cruise at these temperatures. If I turn down the air sooner, it cruises at a lower temp.
-john

Status
Not open for further replies.