Holy score Batman! Not sure what type....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLAYS WITH FIRE

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I have tried to post pictures but will not work. If I can email someone and they could post, I would appreciate very much.

My neighbor was having his tree cut down because it was causing issues with the neighbors house. Well, I seen this a sprung into action and contacted the company doing this. They said they would deliver for 50 bux. My house is 3 houses away and sort of an ajoining back yard with all my neighbors. I asked what type of tree this is and he was not sure but would check his tree book. He is a very nice man and has lots of nice equipment and also says he is a professional arborist.... He told me it is a Walnut. I had no reason to think other wise until I started splitting this massive load (2 full 8x10 dumps, wife is a little upset:-0). I had some black Walnut my other neighbor was cutting that was easy to identify, the inside was black. This stuff is very red and the does not look like Black Walnut or English Walnut. I thought the guy was going to deliver in log lengths so I went and bought a new MS 290 but when received the load it was 80% cut to length. I never even started the new Stihl :-(!

So if you can help, I would like.

Pete

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 649
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 627
Pretty hard to help with the info you've provided - nice score nonetheless! The reddish heartwood could mean cherry, but if a professional arborist didn't get cherry.........

Cheers!

Okay, with the pictures, walnut seems like a good call! Cheers!

Sawtooth leaf and the bark suggest walnut. Heart wood says that it is probably not BLACK walnut, but another variety (which in my opinion is a good thing.)

This and my farm boy co worker are thinking the same thing but I/we will yeild to the experts.... If slippery elm, it this good firewood?

Adios Pantalones said:
Those leaves are not walnut, which are compound.

Good eye on the anti-compound, I didn't catch that.. You are correct in the "Not walnut" category.

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
If slippery elm, it this good firewood?

Yep, if you can get it split.

My little 5 ton electric splitter is doing the job quite nicely. One piece was knotted and gave some resistance but I repositioned and no problem. And wife says I better get it cleaned up so, no choice!

Adios Pantalones said:
The bark is not cherry. Those leaves are not walnut, which are compound.

My guess is red/slippery elm.

+1 Absolutely.

Red elm is not bad to split. Really easy (as far as elm goes) when dead.

100% agree on red elm. I've processed a lot of it. Good firewood...a little better than cherry...not as good as ash.

Ha! Didn't realize the leaves were part of the rounds! Definitely not walnut!! Cheers!

Yup. Split quite a lot of it back from early '80's on. Not much left around here.Few medium-larger ones & many more small ones still growing but Dutch Elm Disease & Phloem Necrosis really did a number on them.Havent seen any in quantity since mid 90's.

Here is a quantity for ya. The pic does not do it justice! And does not get the pile to the right of it. I split for a few hours and didn't put a dent in it!

Attachments

• pile.jpg
    pile.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 520
Looks like the big Chinese Elm I have in my back yard.

yep, that thar is a lot of wood...looks as though you'll be using the saw on some of it too!

I hope to use the saw. I bought it, gassed it up and never fire it up. The guy at the store Contractor Supply in Washington Pa. fired it up for about 10sec and that was it. They threw in some oil, hat and a new chain, no case though.

Looks like Siberian Elm to me, (lots of people mistakenly call it chinese elm). The leaves in the OP pictures are very elm like but smaller than other types of elm - this is a dead giveaway that it is siberian.

Here is a few rounds I've just processed:

DSC03237.jpg

Now that I looked at it more,it does look like Siberian Elm instead of Slippery/Red Elm.Bark on Siberian is more 'diamond cross-hatched' pattern compared to Slippery,which is flatter topped & not quite as deeply ridged. Siberian is dark reddish-brown when very green,dries out fast to a light greyish-brown.I scrounged 2 loads of semi-dead Siberian last June on CL,split it all in less than 2 weeks,dried out fast in summer sun & was ready to burn in mid November.

Slippery/Red Elm at parents acreage Nov 2010 -

Attachments

• red elm 1.jpg
    red elm 1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 406
  • red elm 3.jpg
    red elm 3.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 326
  • red elm 4.jpg
    red elm 4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 325
PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I hope to use the saw. I bought it, gassed it up and never fire it up. The guy at the store Contractor Supply in Washington Pa. fired it up for about 10sec and that was it. They threw in some oil, hat and a new chain, no case though.
If the wood pictured is what you intend on cutting more often I would have opted for the MS 361 or better yet 441. Don't know what you paid but the Dolmar 6400 or 7900 would have been in the same price range with killer power for cutting up 20" plus sized logs.

I paid 350 and this size diameter is not my intention. I have 84 acres to cut many downed trees that are various sizes. I can't keep up with them, now with this load... I think I am done for a while, probably cut more in the fall! I think I am far enough ahead of what my yard will support and what the wifey will allow! I already have 2+ cord split and drying for a while this should give me another 2 + cord.

Never really seen or had any experience with red, slippery, Siberian, Chinese or any other type of elm other than American elm . . . but the leaves and bark are elm . . . of some sort.

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I paid 350 and this size diameter is not my intention. I have 84 acres to cut many downed trees that are various sizes. I can't keep up with them, now with this load... I think I am done for a while, probably cut more in the fall! I think I am far enough ahead of what my yard will support and what the wifey will allow! I already have 2+ cord split and drying for a while this should give me another 2 + cord.

I already have 4 cords split and stacked, should have another 2 or so in the next month. Then my wife is telling me she wants to see us double that by fall so that we have a good fuel supply stored up. I can't argue, but I'm gonna be tired. Although, it will save some time mowing the lawn since a good deal of it will be under wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.