Home Depot and Lowes when will they drop there pellet prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheWaterfront

Sep 13, 2010
Newark, Delaware
In the Delaware-Maryland-Pennsylvania tri-state region the Lowes and Home Depot stores are all basically asking the same price $269/ton (usually with some kind of sliding quantity discount schedule), But even taking their discounts into consideration this price is easily $20 to $45 higher than other pellet retailers in the area. (I can get pellets delivered for 250/ton from one shop) So when are they going to wake up and drop there prices? (Although I suppose one could try leaning on the price match policy both chains offer.)

No reason for them to hurry. The heating season has barely started. They aren`t overly concerned about selling them by the pallet/ton. I`m always surprised at the number of pellet stove users that buy 10 bags at a time.

My Local Lowes and Home Depot were selling for $299 at first. I could get pellets for as cheap as $199/ton at the pellet house's. Really good pellets for around $240/ton. Why would anyone bother with the over priced bigbox?

They now have them for $218.50/ton. And my local wally mart still has pellets for $6.00/bag with no discount for ton purchase. I can't figure them out. I think they try to get as much as possible for them. But when they notice they aren't selling much, They dump the prices to actually match whats available locally? IDK!

The HD nearest to me has had Blazers for $3.99/ bag or $198/ton, for a month. I bought 1/2 ton of the Blazers (Western Oregon Wood Products), and really like them.

$8-9 a bag here from what I say last time I was at Lowe's (earlier this week)

OnTheWaterfront said:
In the Delaware-Maryland-Pennsylvania tri-state region the Lowes and Home Depot stores are all basically asking the same price $269/ton (usually with some kind of sliding quantity discount schedule), But even taking their discounts into consideration this price is easily $20 to $45 higher than other pellet retailers in the area. (I can get pellets delivered for 250/ton from one shop) So when are they going to wake up and drop there prices? (Although I suppose one could try leaning on the price match policy both chains offer.)

OTW - who will deliver to you for $250/ton and what kind of pellets are they? I'm up in PA, just over the Delaware line. Thanks!

The Lowes up in north wilmington doesn't even store them inside, at least as far as I have seen. They have them sitting outside near the door, with a generic sign for wood pellets and the price. People are ripping into the plastic to find out the brand.

Hitch said:
OnTheWaterfront said:

OTW - who will deliver to you for $250/ton and what kind of pellets are they? I'm up in PA, just over the Delaware line. Thanks!

The Lowes up in north wilmington doesn't even store them inside, at least as far as I have seen. They have them sitting outside near the door, with a generic sign for wood pellets and the price. People are ripping into the plastic to find out the brand.

Chim chim cheree fireplace and stoves quoted me 2 Tons of tree cycle pellets delivered for $250 a ton about a month ago. Their shop is in Dover but they had no problem delivering to me in Newark, also I think the owner lives in Oxford PA, so I would think he delivers to your area.

http://www.chimchimchereefireplaceandstoves.com/
1-866-976-2446

BTU said:
j-takeman said:
My Local Lowes and Home Depot were selling for $299 at first. I could get pellets for as cheap as $199/ton at the pellet house's. Really good pellets for around $240/ton. Why would anyone bother with the over priced bigbox?

They now have them for $218.50/ton. And my local wally mart still has pellets for $6.00/bag with no discount for ton purchase. I can't figure them out. I think they try to get as much as possible for them. But when they notice they aren't selling much, They dump the prices to actually match whats available locally? IDK!

IF they are selling at this price...why would they drop their price?..Retailing is all about inventory turns and only when it stops moving at a rate they feel they should be will the price drop. With pellets moving as well as they are right now (wholesale anyways), the temps dropping and crude oil rising, that really isn't the ideal setting for prices to be coming down. (I will NEVER say NEVER, but I have seen a slight bump in prices at the wholesale level in the last week/10 days by some of the larger players).

Us smart shoppers will not be paying them prices. If there selling? It's to shoppers that need to do some more home work! Shame on them.

Looks like everythings getting a bump in price. Gas too! Supposedly its due to a spike in wall street. Guess they didn't check my 401K?

j-takeman said:
BTU said:
j-takeman said:

IF they are selling at this price...why would they drop their price?..Retailing is all about inventory turns and only when it stops moving at a rate they feel they should be will the price drop. With pellets moving as well as they are right now (wholesale anyways), the temps dropping and crude oil rising, that really isn't the ideal setting for prices to be coming down. (I will NEVER say NEVER, but I have seen a slight bump in prices at the wholesale level in the last week/10 days by some of the larger players).

Us smart shoppers will not be paying them prices. If there selling? It's to shoppers that need to do some more home work! Shame on them.

Looks like everythings getting a bump in price. Gas too! Supposedly its due to a spike in wall street. Guess they didn't check my 401K?

LOL, you mean that 401K hasn't been disappeared yet, give'm a chance and it will be.

I don't know how is it where you live, but I would go the extra mile or buck to buy from a local small bossiness person who supports me right. We have both Lowes, HD, TS in this area. All nice people working there. We also have several small family run businesses who also sell pellets. I have learned they will know me by name and go out of their way to help me in any way.

Stick with the stove shops and pellet dealers. Depot and Lowes
sell crap pellets these days imo.

I feel I get better service from the local pellet dealers and they handle the pellets with care. Most of the time I can get a better pellet for about the same or less. I do buy some from the bigbox, But its usually at the end of the season and I am selective on what brands I do buy! Generally its just a few bags of so to finish off the season.

Lowes on Long Island has Somersets for $299 per ton. No discount for multi-ton buying as of yet. Home Depot does not even have pellets in stock yet. I asked what they were waiting for. Most others on the Island selling good pellets for $285 and AWF for $257.

Just stopped at the Lowes in Newburgh....Somersets and Clean Energy for $4.58bag - $229/ton....no discount.......yet.

I would stick with my dealer, because he sells Bear Mt, but he stores them outside. Not in a open shed, but outside with no cover other than the plastic sheet they come wrapped in. I bought a ton from him this summer, but now that the weather has come, I am not sure I want to buy any more.

woodsman23 said:
185.00 A TON AS OF TODAY AT LOWES IN SPRINGVILLE NY

What brand pellets are they carrying?

PS WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT US WOODSMAN??? ;-P

imacman said:
woodsman23 said:
185.00 A TON AS OF TODAY AT LOWES IN SPRINGVILLE NY

What brand pellets are they carrying?

PS WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT US WOODSMAN??? ;-P

Also, is that the posted price or after some kind of discount?

imacman said:
Just stopped at the Lowes in Newburgh....Somersets and Clean Energy for $4.58bag - $229/ton....no discount.......yet.

imacman, aren't the somersets on the good pellet list? I may pick up a few bags to checkout. And Zena I hear ya about supporting a pellet supplier. I don't have one close by so gotta get what I get. BT in Bristol is closest, 1 hour away. Place is great, but by the time I pay for fuel and time to go there it negates price/quality advantage. :shut:

Schoondog

schoondog said:
imacman said:

imacman, aren't the somersets on the good pellet list? I may pick up a few bags to checkout. And Zena I hear ya about supporting a pellet supplier. I don't have one close by so gotta get what I get. BT in Bristol is closest, 1 hour away. Place is great, but by the time I pay for fuel and time to go there it negates price/quality advantage. :shut:

Schoondog

Yep Schoon, the Somersets are on the "very good" list. If I needed pellets right now, I'd be heading over to Lowes to get them.

PS, don't take the tons in the front of the store.....bottom bags are ripped open. :p

Sorry about the yelling.lol I don't know what brand i seen them stacked outside 50ton with price sprayed on and tsc across the street have them for 180 today, it's a pellet war for sure. TSC has AWF lowes i don't know what brand, covered with white plastic wrap...

Status
Not open for further replies.