Home depot pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxpellet

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2007
Bronx, NY
Picked up a bag of pellets at Home depot, they were best price around, unfortuantlly they only had six bags left, any feed back on thier product , they were called Freedom fuel, With a big flag on it.

We gave away 5 pallets of that brand with stoves we sold last year. I did not hear any complaints. But maybe people just didn't want to complain about free stuff.

mtarbert said:
Probably made in China....may contain Lead.....watch eating them...Date **** drug may be used as a binder....LOL

Absolutely hysterical! Add that to the fact that by purchasing them you are only exacerbating the US-China trade deficit, and we could be in the Ash Can in a matter of moments!

Hey Bronx, how much did you pay for them, and did they have a per ton price?

-- Mike

Tried one bag of them last year. They were terrible. Found some pellets that were 3 and 4 inches long. They bridged in my Harman Advance. They do , however, make excellent cat litter !!!

They were $4.48 for a 40 pound bag, $1.25 cheaper then were I got my stove

I bought Freedom Fuel when I bought my first stove (Thelin Gnome) during the 2006 pellet craze. No one had pellets and the fact I could buy a ton when I purchased the stove seemed a huge benefit at the time. When I burned them, the glass would blacken within 10 minutes, clinkers would form within hours, but would burn very hot (package described as Pine pellets). I was able to burn in my Castile with better results, but the glass would still blacken and form good size clinkers. All this and I paid $350 for a ton in Jan 2006!

The lesson learned was buy a few bags first and try in your model stove before investing in bulk (ton) purchases.

Same price at the HD store here, but they carry Blazer pellets. They were down to 1 1/2 pallets remaining when I was there last week.
The Blazer pellets are labeled "premium". Plenty of soot and clinkers. :(

I burned 2 bags so far, glass is just as dirty as the New England pellets I got free with my stove I will keep you up to date, if your interested

I've burned Blazer the last 2 years, I've had no problems with these pellets. I paid 199.95 a ton in Sept. These were bought at Home Depot.

BXpellet said:
Picked up a bag of pellets at Home depot, they were best price around, unfortuantlly they only had six bags left, any feed back on thier product , they were called Freedom fuel, With a big flag on it.

Don't burn em. They're French, aka French Fuel. They just changed the name to be patriotic. JK ;-)

I purchased 1 1/2 ton of Blazer pellets from Home Depot last Sept. at $3.99 per bag. I have burned 20 bags with less than 3lbs ash and almost no clickers.

Since this is my first season burning pellets I was curious what results I would get from another brand. Friends told me that Bear Mountain pellets were the best, so when I saw "Forest Fuel" pellets at Lowes with Bear Mountain's label I picked up 5 bags. They were horrible, there were so many clickers that I had to clean the burn pot 3 times just to get through one bag. I emailed Bear Mountain Pellets to find out why, they responded that they had relabeled pine pellets from Canada last winter during the pellet shortage. I returned 4 bags to Lowes and purchased 5 bags of Bear Mountain Premium Plus pellets from a local lumber yard.

I have since burned the 5 bags of Bear Mountain Premium Plus, from my limited experience, I would say they are slightly cleaner than the Blazer pellets I burned. Because of the small difference between Blazer pellets and Bear Mountain pellets I will purchase either brand in the future.

You're lucky to be right near some great pellet companies. WOW pellets and Bear Mtn. make good premium pellets. What are they charging this year per bag, per ton?

BeGreen said:
You're lucky to be right near some great pellet companies. WOW pellets and Bear Mtn. make good premium pellets. What are they charging this year per bag, per ton?

The Bear Mountain Premium Plus pellets were $4.19 per bag at Par lumber (a regional lumber company). Par Lumber has a discount when purchasing by the ton, but I did not ask about the per ton price.

I paid $3.99 per bag for the Blazer pellets at Home Depot, there was no per ton discount at the time. My local Home Depot is now selling pellets from Canada at $4.19 per bag or <$200 per ton. I believe these are pine pellets, the dealer I purchased my stove from warned me not to burn pine pellets. I don't know why.

I may be wrong, but I thought Lignetics from Idaho were mostly pine. If they are, they burn great.

Status
Not open for further replies.