1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Home Made Boiler Up and Running

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by allan, Nov 15, 2009.

1. fabguy01

fabguy01 New Member

Loc:
    Ravenna Michigan
    I wonder if Garn would sell thier secondary chamber to a non-owner

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. brad068

brad068 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Wisconsin
    GARN PARTS.com
  3. maplewood

maplewood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NB Canada
    I greatly admire your ingenuity and boldness to attack such a project.
    American Spirit! (North American, if I may say, because I'm in Canada.) :)
    Great job. Hope it satisfies you for decades.
    Happy burning.
  4. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    That friggin thing is gynormous! 3000 gallons? How big is your house?
  5. allan

allan Member

Loc:
    EUP of MI
    Heaterman

If your going to make something, you might as well base it off of something that is the best IMHO. Or at least the simplist. There are many good designs out there, but none this simple as far as I can tell. I really like some of the European boiler designs, but I could not build one of those very easily.

You are welcome anytime, all though, I'm working away a lot right now. I appreciate all your input on different post. I checked out your website, looks like its still in the building stage, but looks good just the same. Good luck!.
  6. allan

allan Member

Loc:
    EUP of MI
    Jim

I followed your progress with mush interest. I used a Garn wheel based on the 1500 model. If I had to do it over, I might be temped to use the wheel for the 2000 model as it is slightly larger.

I usually burn for no more then 4 hours a day from starting the fan to shutting it off. I get most of my heat rise during the first 2.5 to 3 hours, after that I'm just burning down the coals. I think that I get about 10 degrees per hour rise on my guage. When my boiler guage reads in the low 190's, I have readings on my supply blk iron pipe of over 200 degrees. I have not run my boiler temp guage past 195 becasue I had 207 degree water in my supply pipe. I'm not sure that I want to "boil the beast" just yet.
  7. allan

allan Member

Loc:
    EUP of MI
    Maplewood

I too was born and lived in Canada my first 24 years. I enjoy challenges but once I got into this project and with the help of a great my folks on this site, it was not really that big of a deal. The hardest part is not knowing if my changes to the design would pan out. I wanted a longer secondary burn chamber and a shorter fire box. I'm glad I made the secondary chamber longer As I see flames a good way down when the fire is really going.
  8. allan

allan Member

Loc:
    EUP of MI
    It is commonly know in these parts as the "beast" :).
  9. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI

10:05 on November 15 in the U.P. and you are on the computer???? Did you forget it is opening day of deer season in MI.......LOL you did not miss much

Rob
  10. allan

allan Member

Loc:
    EUP of MI
    Here is some photos of building the "Beast" Enjoy:).

Attached Files:

11. allan

allan Member

Loc:
    EUP of MI
    More Photos :)

Attached Files:

12. brad068

brad068 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Wisconsin
    Nice work EUP. I was thinking to myself why did he cut the firebox hole so big and not use the existing steel sheet for the air nozzle cutout but I then remembered that you didn't cut the entire end of the tank off, Duhhhh! How else would he get the firebox inside the tank!

I made "nozzles" to fit in the top and bottom air inlet holes to more or less ,experiment with the right combo. Some of the early garns had a turn knob I think to regulate the upper inlet or the inlet right in the door. I found that with wetter wood, close off the top inlet and dry wood open up the top inlet.
    Did you weld in any couplings to install anode rods? And, I do believe supply from the top and return in the bottom is working out better. Again, nice job!
  13. deerefanatic

deerefanatic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ladysmith, WI
    Very nice setup. I think if one is going to build a gassifier from scratch, that the garn design would actually be easier than the downdraft style..... And much simpler.... Heck, with one of those, I wouldn't even need my NFCS....

One advantage though with a downdraft setup and external storage is if you pull a "dumb" moment and let your storage run waayyy down, you can get heat in the house fairly quickly by firing up the downdraft... VS the garn setup where you have to heat the storage to a usable level before you can heat your house...

Maybe not a big deal though.