Home Made Fire Starters.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
This is a topic that gets bounced around a bit. We have heard everything from corn cobs soaked in kerosene (don't recommend) to dryer lint in egg cartons. I thought I would throw my starters into the ring.

First of all, I have an old shop stove that ain't pretty and ain't gonna get hurt as my heat source. I simply take and melt the wax in a can on the shop stove and mix it with sawdust to coat. I have two steel plugs (could be wood, plastic, etc) that fit fairly well in a piece of 2" PVC. I put one plug in the bottom and stand the PVC tube upright and then fill with the sawdust mix and pack by hand until full. Take the second plug and place in the top end and then place this fixture in my shop press. Apply the squeezin'. Let cool in place and under pressure. Remove bottom plug and push the sawdust mix out. Cut on band saw.

I do this usually when I am working on another project out in the shop. I don't dedicate time or stove operation to this alone. Each piece will burn a nice hot flame for about 15+ minutes. I have never had a failed startup because of these. They are fairly hard and the edge starts pretty easy with a stick lighter.

Pen is for size reference:

Attachments

• presssm.jpg
    presssm.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 942
  • firestartersm.jpg
    firestartersm.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 893
  • firestarter2sm.jpg
    firestarter2sm.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 900
Nice.

Pays to have shop tools! You could sell those. Fire Starter Pucks, put a NHL logo on them!

Any risk of the PVC pipe blowing out on you?

I could call them "Super Oaks". :lol: It was all oak sawdust.

LOOK OUT THOMAS, I'm comin' ta get ya. (not really, you have nothing to worry about). At my rate of production I could make a case about every two days. ;-)

I do the exact same thing. I get paraffin by the 5 gallon buckets full from work. Those firestarters burn for quite some time, and hot. PVC, compression and chop saw. Not too long ago I got lazy and found the silicone mini muffin sheets work well also, just not as dense.

I had even thought about using a longer piece of PVC and the log splitter for compression. It jumped back out of my mind once I realized that I have no way to gauge the pressure being applied with the splitter and I am not looking for catastrophic failure of the PVC - that could get dangerous.

Glad to hear that I am not the only "nut" using a shop press to make firestarters. :lol:

Lets see what others have done. Post up your pics.

I was wondering how you gage the pressure on that PVC to prevent a blow out. Might have to up into a cast iron pipe.

I have two wheel barrel loads of chain saw chips. Would this work on those? Do you heat the wax and then mix? How do you keep it soft before it gets into the form?

basswidow said:
I was wondering how you gage the pressure on that PVC to prevent a blow out. Might have to up into a cast iron pipe.

I two wheel barrel loads of chain saw chips. Would this work on those?

Sure it would. With the shop press I don't have a PSI reading, but I get direct feedback from the hand pump (how hard you have to pump). There is no such "feedback" from a splitter until it is too late.

On my setup, I stop pumping as soon as I feel a resistance. Probably in the 750-1000 psi range, just to guess.

I ripped a single cut down one side of the PVC then use hose clamps to keep it together. I dont use a press, but my weight. The cut in the PVC drains excessive paraffin and allows me to pry it open when cured. I've had mine burn for as long as 45 minutes by themselves. Also pine cones, chips, bark, etc. can be used. I ended up quartering a puck like show, it's takes little. The paraffin I use has a much lower melting temperature so it's easy to work with. I make some for friends and family. This year was just for my own personal use.

Well they certainly look impressive. Makes me want to give it a try. Really slick. Thanks for posting the pics!

laynes69 said:
I ripped a single cut down one side of the PVC then use hose clamps to keep it together. I dont use a press, but my weight. The cut in the PVC drains excessive paraffin and allows me to pry it open when cured. I've had mine burn for as long as 45 minutes by themselves. Also pine cones, chips, bark, etc. can be used. I ended up quartering a puck like show, it's takes little. The paraffin I use has a much lower melting temperature so it's easy to work with. I make some for friends and family. This year was just for my own personal use.

Good ideas on the split pvc. I used a VERY conservative number on the burn time because I didn't want to give anybody unrealistic expectations. Difference in method could provide a very different end product.

I simply collect old unwanted candles from family and friends. I never realized how many are "decorative" and then simply get discarded when a change is wanted. Cash outlay - zero dollars.

I made some this year for holiday gifts, and for my own purpose. I take a paper egg carton, fill each cup with cedar shavings, and drizzle in a couple tablespoons of melted candle wax. Cut them apart and you've got a dozen. They work well.. I use them when I don't have any kindling. For gifts, I wrapped up a dozen in a fabric scrap and tied them up with some string. Gave them to some of my wood burning friends.

They look like White Castle Super Cedars. :lol: I'm sure they work just fine for you.

fossil said:
They look like White Castle Super Cedars.

And they probably taste better too. :sick:

maxed_out said:
needs a name though.

How about "Crazy Pucking Firestarter"?

"PuckTastic"?

"Stove Sausage"

"Put a Little Spice In Your Wood Burning"

"Available in Mild, Regular and OMG."

If made of wax from scented candles: cinnamon, pottpouri, christmas, baked bread, root beer, etc. The neighbors were outdoors and downwind so they call and ask, "Hey, are you making apple cobbler in there?"

Jags said:
This is a topic that gets bounced around a bit. We have heard everything from corn cobs soaked in kerosene (don't recommend) to dryer lint in egg cartons. I thought I would throw my starters into the ring.

First of all, I have an old shop stove that ain't pretty and ain't gonna get hurt as my heat source. I simply take and melt the wax in a can on the shop stove and mix it with sawdust to coat. I have two steel plugs (could be wood, plastic, etc) that fit fairly well in a piece of 2" PVC. I put one plug in the bottom and stand the PVC tube upright and then fill with the sawdust mix and pack by hand until full. Take the second plug and place in the top end and then place this fixture in my shop press. Apply the squeezin'. Let cool in place and under pressure. Remove bottom plug and push the sawdust mix out. Cut on band saw.

I do this usually when I am working on another project out in the shop. I don't dedicate time or stove operation to this alone. Each piece will burn a nice hot flame for about 15+ minutes. I have never had a failed startup because of these. They are fairly hard and the edge starts pretty easy with a stick lighter.

Pen is for size reference

Okay, then what's the photo of the hand for? Looking for compliments on the hand?

nah I think we need one of those fancy pants beer names to be attached to this one. "nantucket firepucker" Rocky mountain firestarter....

Jags, ps we just brewed up a fresh batch of stout. a bluemoon clone is condtioning and a wonderful pilsner is in my half finished glass.

Jags said:

Pen is for size reference:

Nice job Jags, would you like some nice dry pine needles for the JAGWOOD. Caddyshack had BUSHWOOD.

zap

Jags said:
laynes69 said:
I simply collect old unwanted candles from family and friends. I never realized how many are "decorative" and then simply get discarded when a change is wanted. Cash outlay - zero dollars.

Don't forget about crayons. Last time I made my egg carton fire starters I raided the kids' crayons for all the broken pieces. It made for a nice muddy brown wax.

You know what i do? I pour my shaving and melted wax mixture into a silicone muffin pan. Once it cools/hardens, pop it right out and pour in the next mixture. Quick and easy.

The local forest service is thinning the woods here, which involves grinding/shredding the slash and anything that's not otherwise good for lumber (including stumps). The forest floor gets covered in these little shredded bits of wood. These bits are riddled with cracks and have wood fibers splayed off the ends, which allows them to get very dry and very easy to start. I collect and use the ones that will start the best fires (fist size, maybe as big as a cell phone). These don't last as long as the fire disks that I've used in the past, but they are easier to light and get going faster.

edit - I guess technically these aren't 'homemade', although I do gather similar pieces as they're leftover from log splitting work.

DanCorcoran said:
Looking for compliments on the hand?

Ummm...well...only if you want to give them??? :gulp:

The reason that I like the pressure being applied - vs the pour in type method is because of density. My method doesn't use much wax and yields a very dense and solid puck when done. Nothing against any other method, its just that I like the way that these turn out and they have a very intense and long burning heat.

DanCorcoran said:
Jags said:

Pen is for size reference

Okay, then what's the photo of the hand for? Looking for compliments on the hand?

You know I was looking at that hand and thought Jags could be the next Ray McKigney . . . really such exquisite hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.