Homemade Chainsaw Loops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcycle07

Sep 16, 2013
Southern Iowa
I did search so forgive me if I did not think of the right keyword.

Does anyone buy a spool of chain, such as this from Bailey's, and rivet them themselves? I was thinking a hammer and an anvil might do the trick or perhaps a concave punch(die) of the right shape (I have access to a lathe so that would not be a problem to make). My brother-in-law and friend use the same chain just in different bar lengths so I could make chains for all of us.

Just looking for anyone who has done it and/or advice anyone has to give on the subject.
Thanks

Its getting late and I probably will respond again tomorrow . I make my own chains and my old man use to fix them . I bought a driver and spinner off of ebay and would suggest that . My old man would grind the backs off the rivets and drive them out with a punch and then replace the rivits with a hammer and die . I am confident of my chains and have never had one break but I have seen chains break and luckily its been with no mishaps. Most of the good spinners and drivers I think are out of Italy and not that expensive . Good rule of thumb is right tool for the Job . I will give you another one up to having the tools I have been given so many old chains its unreal ! I bought a bench grinder also and have got lots of chains given to me from all kinds of guys so I make lots of chains for my self from old chains from guys that got rid of saws or buckets of them at farm auctions . Its not dificult but take your time with spining the new rivits you dont want to split them .

If you watch sales and look around the net you'll find prices as cheap or as close to as cheap as making your own from a spool. You may have to order a quantity of 5 or 10 to get the discount but deals are out there . I was just checking my chain costs about a year ago and IIRC it only cost about $1/chain more to buy pre made loops. I ain't spinnin' no stinkin' chains for a buck !:rolleyes:;)

I had always been tempted to make my own chains, but the up front costs are high.

breaker
spinner
chain spool
rivets, tie straps
time making chains

If I come across some equipment at a good price, I'll start making chains; but as JustWood stated, the cost savings just aren't worth it for me. This is especially true for me because there's a good chain service shop (sales and sharpening) nearby.

Just so you guys know your all comparing the sale price of of finished chain loops to a spool of chain . If yu watch where when and what you buy you can buy discounted 100' chain loops at some reasonable prices . Grantedspinning chains isnt everyones cup of tee , it takes meall of ten minutes to make up a chain but thats only cause I count my drivers twice. I think my bench tools were very cheap off of fleabay and since I have the tools I have been givein enough saw chains to supply my neighbor hood the rest of our lives . They just turn up all the time and its pretty easy to resize alot of them . Most chains turn up from garages and barns guys dont know what they fit or they use to have a saw they fit . Then there are chains from the guys that buy there saws at the big box stores and evry time they get dull they buy a new chain . Oh another nice tool is my electric chain grinder .

Just do not mix brands of chain and use the proper tie strap for that chain. There is a slight differance between brands of similar products. In some cases the diameter of the rivets are different. Others might be the way the various parts of the chain interact with each other.

Reactions: TreePointer
Just so you guys know your all comparing the sale price of of finished chain loops to a spool of chain . If yu watch where when and what you buy you can buy discounted 100' chain loops at some reasonable prices . Grantedspinning chains isnt everyones cup of tee , it takes meall of ten minutes to make up a chain but thats only cause I count my drivers twice. .
Don't count your DL's twice . Drive a finish nail in your work bench. Take the correct DL length chain and place one end over the nail. Now place the spool end of the chain over the nail and mark your break point.
I don't mind spinning loops at all but not at less than minimum wage.

I have been debating this topic for some time. It all comes down to what your are paying for loops and rolls of chain along with how much chain you use. Although I haven't used a lot of Stihl chain, it probably is the best but how much better is it is the question????

Yesterday I bought a single loop of 20" 3/8ths 50 gauge, 72DL RSK. The saw shop wanted $26 but the guy knew I wouldn't pay that much as I was contemplating a 100' roll of RSK he had that somebody ordered and didn't pick up. He was going to sell that for $325. (1640 DL will make 22 20" loops) or $14.78 loop. He pre made offered loops for $20 if I bought a quantity. I bought the single for $22 to try out and will make a decision.

One more thing out there is Husqvarna is going to start making their own chain rather than rebadging the stuff they have right now. I am guessing that they will aggressively market via price to gain market share.
http://rermag.com/supply-side/husqvarna-invest-us-159-million-chainsaw-production-facility

Last edited:
Checked my inventory after posting here and was down to 6 loops so I ordered in 15 loops 20" 3/8- .050, 72LPX 72dl for $14.95 each including the shipping. That's reasonable and won't spin for that.

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.