Homesteader model Fireplace, unable to get a decent burn time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning Questions

Dec 6, 2011
Southwest MO
Hi everyone,

I have been so thankful to discover this forum. About 10 years ago I bought my house, which had no conventional central heating. Instead it had a large catalytic fireplace called the "Homesteader" made by Hirschey Industries. The house was built around 1983, and the fireplace company has gone out of business. The fireplace has a big masonry enclosure around it. This chamber is vented through the house, and the fireplace has an air intake that pulls combustion air out of the crawlspace.

My first year here was an adventure to say the least. I had no experience with wood burning, and did a lot of trial and error. I had a sweep come out to clean the chimney before that winter, but he was unable to tell me much about the fireplace. After mangling both my shoulders getting wood ready to burn, I installed electric heat, and I pretty much gave up on the fireplace except as a VERY occasional small fire.

Fast forward to now, when I decided I would like to try again to heat with wood. I have 130 acres, and there is dead fall everywhere. It just seems a terrible waste not to use it. I have a barn full of nice dry wood I collected from the last big ice storm about 3 years ago.

I do have a couple of problems though.

First, I'm sure that after all this time the catalytic units are shot, but I can't seem to find anyone who can replace them. Is it a problem to run the fireplace when they don't work?

Second the fireplace has bifold glass doors. If I damp down the fire to get anything remotely llike an extended burn, small amounts of smoke leak through the cracks in the doors. Does anyone know of any way to stop this? I can seal the edges, but I see no way to seal the hinges where the doors fold.

My house is around 1500 sq ft. The fireplace is dead center in the house, in my great room which has a 16ft high peak. The fireplace is faced with rock which extends to both stories. All the rock provides a lovely radiant heat after the fireplace has been running for a while. The upstairs has two loft bedrooms which are open to the downstairs. I think maybe the height of the ceiling makes for a sort of indoor "chimney effect" allowing tiny bits of smoke to rise out through the doors.

I can get around the smoke problems by using very small frequent loads of wood, but it would be extremely nice to be able to load the fireplace and not have to constantly be feeding it. If I really load it up, it simply gets too hot. I think the previous owners just left the damper wide open and let it roar away, because the back plate of the firebox is warped. It was pronounced sound when I had it swept but I keep a close eye on it, and I am planning on getting a fireback to help protect it.

It really does a good job of heating using a frequent load method, it's windy, snow blowing, and in the low twenties right now and my house is toasty, furthermore it feels much warmer than the same temp using the electric heat. I just would like the ability to not have to be constantly tending the fire.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions/tips. I would especially love to hear from anyone who has any experience with this make of fireplace. I do have a manufacturer's diagram of the fireplace that I can try and post if that would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.