Honestly!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HitzerHillbilly

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2014
Northern Indiana
Within minutes of starting my stove igniting with the top down method! My fisher was the same way! It has changed the way I start my fires!
319dd4965756e8051d280a0e7ae93e34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people prefer the top down method. Personally I can not get it to work. I think it is due to a higher than desired MC in my wood.

Andrew

Yup. I've burned wood for heat my whole life and have never done a topdown start until this season and it's all I ever do now. No fuss, no babysitting. If it's not working for you, to me it would seem it's not being executed properly or something is out of whack with either the system or the ingredients.

I don't lay paper on top, I put my two normal size splits and then my two smaller splits and then pack just enough paper in to ignite the kindling. Then I place nine pieces of kindling in three rows of three on top. Light it and easily within a minute I'm closing the door and the fire is lit and good to go for hours.

For me I can't believe I never knew of this before. Thank you interwebs and Hearth and members. I can watch temperature changes almost immediately and on my stove as soon as the door is opened temps drop. So closing that door as soon as possible and not having to re-open it makes for the quickest most efficient starts.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.