My first time starting a fire top down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The top down fire works especially well in a stove with the reburn tube design. In my downdraft cat stove... meh. It really needs the heat concentrated at the bottom of the fire to work right.
For a cold start I usually do an "inside out" fire, a few criss crossed splits with some paper and kindling in the middle. Works in the stove and fireplace equally well.

I also spent too many years stacking heavy logs on top of a pile of paper and kindling and watching it smolder.

I still use the teepee method, since I was a kid. It works well for me. One flick of the Bic, that quick. I also love the " Art " of fire making and tending.

Last edited:
For a cold start I usually do an "inside out" fire, a few criss crossed splits with some paper and kindling in the middle. Works in the stove and fireplace equally well.
So far, I'm in between. A layer of N/S splits along the bottom. There is usually a flat split in the center with a somewhat taller split to either side, making a small N/S hollow. A Super Cedar on the flat center split with some kindling E/W above it. If I'm doing a large load, then a top layer of N/S splits.

It seems to work, and better than starting at the bottom of the fire box. The times I've tried top-starts the fire does not seem to draw as well early on. Maybe it's the design of the stove, or maybe I'm not laying it quite right.

All I can say is.. all the wasted years! Why was I not taught this in scouts?
Good question. Top down starting makes for a less smoky campfire too.

Reactions: oilcan1001
I'll be the odd man out and say I've never liked doing top down fires in my stove. Seems like it just drags everything out way too long until I can close the air control down. Bottom up has always worked well for me in my stove. I could definitely see top down working better on those mild days with getting the draft going and avoiding smoke spillage but I use other methods to avoid that too. That said, I'll give it another shot this year. I think I try it once a year in an attempt to change my mind but just end up using my usual method.

Reactions: BillBurns
I've been doing only top down starts this season and completely agree that it works fantastic.
Virtually no smoke issues.
Load it
Light it
Enjoy it

Reactions: bigealta
I'll be the odd man out and say I've never liked doing top down fires in my stove. Seems like it just drags everything out way too long until I can close the air control down. Bottom up has always worked well for me in my stove. I could definitely see top down working better on those mild days with getting the draft going and avoiding smoke spillage but I use other methods to avoid that too. That said, I'll give it another shot this year. I think I try it once a year in an attempt to change my mind but just end up using my usual method.
If you didn't have great results try the "Combo Load" Modified Top Down.

Bottom row North /South row with some gaps between splits,
Middle Row East/West splits,
Lay small sticks, 3/4", 1", splitter pieces or whatever u have on top of Middle row to make a "platform" for Top row.
Place small splits East/West on the "platform" on the Middle row.
Make a Second "platform" of sticks/ splitter trash on the Top Row
Either use your favorite fire starter on this platform and/or pile more small kindling that will light Quickly.

Light it close the door and Reload 2-3 hours later on the hot coal bed.
No need to do anything else.

If u want it to light up faster just use smaller splits on the middle and top rows.

Should look something like this:

Last edited:
Reactions: oilcan1001