Hopper Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckydude

Jan 1, 2009
Western NY
I purchase a Corn Flame Energy Model 5000 back in November. I have had 2 Hopper fires since and now seeking advise on what to do. The Installation called for just using the 6 ' Flex Pipe provided to just reach the chimney liner. Wanting to be safer I instaled double wall 6" pipe all the way to the top(20'total) with a cap on the pipe and a chimney cap on the chimney. When the Hopper gets low, smoke starts to enter the hopper. I am using Wood Pellets and was told I could use Corn or Pellets. Anybody have suggestions, my wife says get rid of it.

Did you really have a hopper fire (burning pellets in the hopper) or did you experience a smoke back?

Smoke will seep where ever there is a pressure differential that places the hopper on the wrong side of the differential.

Also if the manual says to only burn corn then you should stick to just corn.

What kind of cap do you have on the top?
It could be plugged with corn ash.......causing the pressure diff Smokeythe bear mentioned.....
was it a FIRE :ahhh:

We sell the CornGlo which is the same stove. It is UL tested for corn only. What are you talking about 6" pipe? It takes 3".

Eric

I dont know much about it, but Id have a technician check it out before Id use it again. Id at the very least make darn sure to have working smoke detectors.

Thanks for all the replys. I bought this unit on the Internet and it was stated corn or pellets(premium only) would work fine. It does work fine as long as I am around to check it. I don't trust it anymore and never run it overnight. I do have a 3" pipe, not a 6". I would like to hear from anyone that owns a " Corn Flame Energy Insert Model 5000 " to see if anyone else is burning pellets. Thanks again.

Corndog said:
Thanks for all the replys. I bought this unit on the Internet and it was stated corn or pellets(premium only) would work fine. It does work fine as long as I am around to check it. I don't trust it anymore and never run it overnight. I do have a 3" pipe, not a 6". I would like to hear from anyone that owns a " Corn Flame Energy Insert Model 5000 " to see if anyone else is burning pellets. Thanks again.

Have you called the manufacturer? UL rating is for corn only. Might have legal issues with whoever sold it to you. Call your Lawyer.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.