Hot Fire!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PowersTree

Nov 16, 2014
Michigan
I am posting here to see what you more experienced guys would do in my situation.

Country Hearth 2000
Roughly 65" of double wall stove pipe
6' Selkirk Supervent
Stove top thermometer at flue collar

Burning ash that's be standing dead for roughly 5 years, split as I burn it basically. I don't have a moisture meter, but have no problem getting it to light.

The problem I'm having is the stove regularly wants to hit 800 degrees.

I usually reload around 250 degrees, raking the coals to the front and stacking on 3 or 4 decent sized splits. I will leave the door cracked for 2 or 3 minutes to get good flames going throughout, close the door with the damper open. As it nears 350 I close the air fully and the flames get lazy, with secondary happening very soon after closing damper. The stove will steadily climb to 700 most of the time, but about twice a day it'll shoot to 800.

What am I doing wrong?

nothing - sounds perfect. 800 is HOT but not nuclear and you obviously have it dialed in. That is about what my stove does with the same type load although my ash has been CSS for2-3yrs.

If you want you can add a key damper to slow it a little

Bob is right. You're doing nothing wrong. Most people would dream of a draft like that. What's your supervent setup? How many feet? Inside or outside? Straight up or outside?

It seems like you have too strong of a draft and it happens. Osburn have stated that my stove can handle 800 now and again. 24 hours a day for 6 months straight? Perhaps not so much. I wouldn't worry too much about a steel stove reaching 800.

Are you measuring with an IR gun or a magnetic thermometer? IF it's with one of those thermometers, they are known to be off between 10-25% and are simply a gauge.

Andrew

How tall is your stack?

The stack is straight up through the roof.

~5' of 6inch DSP (one telescoping piece and a stove adapter)
6' of 6inch Supervent (about 30 inches of it in the house/attic, remaining above the roof and a cap)

I'm glad to hear you guys don't think I'm melting the thing down with 800 degrees. The temps are all taken with a Meecos Red Devil thermometer that is placed directly in front of the flue collar. Maybe today I will run around and grab the rest of the tools I need. A stack probe thermometer, an ir gun, and a moisture meter.

Thanks again guys. I trolled this site to learn my entire install, and I'm definitely not the handy man type generally. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I trolled this site to learn my entire install, and I'm definitely not the handy man type generally. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.
HA ha. My knowledge is very limited. I learned a TON from this site. And before moving into this house 5 years ago I didn't know what a hammer was (slight exageration). And I have since learned to sweep chimney, build decks, garages, basements. With time and the internet, we can learn anything!

Andrew

Reactions: PowersTree
Let's see if I can get a few pics up. 20150103_140052.jpg 20150103_140108.jpg 20150103_140052.jpg

Try moving the thermometer over to one side rather than next to the flue collar. That's always the hottest spot, over to one side will give you more of an average temp. With good dry wood my Buck would cruise right up to 800 in no time if I didn't watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.