HOT HOPPER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ko19473

Dec 13, 2008
swenksville pa
I have a Whitfield pellet stove and just replaced the auger motor and cleaned everything. I do not remember the hopper being warmer than normal. What's normal and do I have anything to worry about. THANKS VIC O

Most pellet stoves have a overheat sensor on the hopper - designed to turn the unit off if there is a fire in there, etc.

I'm not sure of the spec, but I suppose it should stay under 150 or even lower on the lid and top. That would make it hot to the touch, but not hot enough to easily burn you in a second. It may be that cleaning it increased the temperature because fly ash is an insulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.