How about this for the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
kubota b6000 with loader - $3600

kubota b6000 with loader runs and works great nice and small to move around the lawn 3600 obo

5L45Fb5Jd3Ge3M33Fec5m2e3b90b01cd11a43.jpg

I see these small Kubotas on CL quite often and I think they would be great in the woods. I use my Honda Foreman, but I think these are more rugged. The size seems great for my woods and the bucket is a plus. I would definately want power steering. What's your opinion?

Reactions: quads and smokinj
Consider your uses and then make sure that the bucket lift height will match. Some of those units don't lift very high.

Sure looks like a sturdy little mule. Kubota made their name on reliability.

My Dad has an old B7100HST w/ loader & backhoe that is similar to the one in your picture. They are handy, especially in tight places, but I would advise a little bigger (at least 20-25hp) machine unless you need something small. Anything with a loader will go a long way toward saving your back if it has enough power and ballast to pick up the desired load. Our standard method of transport is to roll rounds into the bucket of my L3710 and either shuttle them straight to the woodpile or load the truck. The little tractors will surprise you in what they can do but it's a lot like a small saw in that it will take you longer to get the job done.

I like them because my trees are very close together, anything much bigger would be cumbersome in the woods.

I have a little Massey-Ferguson, which is actually more tractor than I need, but I sure do have fun with it and it moves a lot of stuff around. I've removed the backhoe for now and put a hitch receiver on the 3PH, which makes moving trailers or my wood splitter around a breeze. Personally, I would consider 4WD to be essential. Rick

snow.jpg

Reactions: quads
Rick
How hard is it to install and remove the hoe? I'd love to have 1, but I still need the 3PTH

Tractor's made in Japan...and as far as I can tell, it was very well made. Iseki 3 cylinder diesel, 22.5 HP. The whole machine max width is 4'. Taking the backhoe off (my first time) took me like ten minutes. The procedure is simple & straightforward. Putting it back on shouldn't be much tougher, but I haven't done it yet. It's all explained in detail in the manual. Putting it back on basically consists of backing the tractor up to the backhoe close enough to hook up the hydraulics, using the backhoe controls to lift itself up, scoot the tractor back a few more inches, set the hoe in place and replace the two securing pins. Rick

ETA: I know there are lots of terrific tractors on the market. I bought the M-F because I really liked it, the price was right, and the dealer (great bunch of real people) is like 4 miles from my house. It's the only thing quite like it I've ever owned, so I can't compare it with any other tractor.

That would be a good unit...like you mentioned, anything bigger gets difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. My dad has an old 1940 MF 40 HP gas, quite a bit bigger than that, and we've been making firewood with it for years. Tractors are as handy as pockets on a shirt for firewood duty.

We had one about that size for the landscaper I worked for, as well as a larger 30ish HP model. We cleared a bunch of land to put in a pond with it (big one), and could pull 20" x 14' trees uphill, in reverse, with mud up to the hubs on both axles. Traction and ballast are the limiting factors on what you can do with them, up to a point, obviously.

Your going to need a lot of ballast if you want to pick up some heavy loads with the FEL, or even make lighter loads more maneuverable...4x4 will help with maneuverability. The best/cheapest way to do add ballast is to buy a drawbar and make it heavier, either by forming around it a encasing it in concrete, or welding on some heavy boiler plate. Suitcase weights and fluid filling the tires (not even sure if that's a good idea for a tractor that small) can be expensive.

That loader appears a bit big for the tractor, but it may just be the angle (looks to stick out too far from the doghouse), which would make the rear even lighter when picking up something. Kubota usually has the loader model number on it and I'm not seeing it. Maybe it's been painted over, or maybe it isn't OEM for Kubota.

We had a hoe for the big Kubota. It had a hydraulic pump that fastened to the PTO rather than using the live hydraulics on the tractor. It is very easy to take on and off...pretty much the same process Rick described...and adds a lot of ballast.

The price seems right too...you couldn't touch one of those around here for that price...CUTs are crazy expensive.

Two things to keep in mind over the ATV.

1. It is slower...you can move a heavy load faster...but getting in and out of the woods takes longer, especially if you are travelling long distances.
2. They are heavy. Soft ground becomes an issue...not so much getting stuck...but you'll make some ruts. Hauling it around (if you plan/need to) may be an issue. If you have a trailer you're good, but you can't load this guy up in the back of a Ranger like the Honda.

Reactions: Jack Straw
Jack - I don't know if you have gone far enough to look at the specs but my research says that you are looking at a 13hp 2 cylinder diesel. Nothing wrong with 13hp, just want to make you aware. The 4x4 unit weighs in at 1050 pounds.

Using hydraulics while moving may be some what of an issue.

Reactions: Jack Straw
Jags is right. It's going to be underwhelming as far as hydraulic performance is concerned. Slow to haul trailers as well. B6000 would be awesome if you were cultivating/tilling a medium sized garden but for woods work? I'd want a machine like fossils. Kubota BX series are like fleas on a dog's back around here. JD 2210, 2305, new 1xxx series or maybe you could find an old 650/655. 770/790/3005 (all the same tractor really) are available for reasonable $$ considering how much tractor you get. No fancy features, just a hard-working tractor that will work circles around a BX or 2210 sized machine.

Personally I would go with a minimum of 23 hp and a 3 cylinder diesel. I have a kubota BX2360 and love the functionality of this size tractor for getting in the woods and getting in tight places.

Reactions: kingquad and quads
I have a BX 23. That is a 23hp tractor with easy removable loader and backhoe. I use it every day, it is one of the best investment I ever made! I don't use it a lot in the bush, but I also have an rtv 900. That is a woodcutters dream! Hydraulic dump, 4wd and a winch to pull the trees right up to the vehicle!

This is what I use for the woods:

Not ideal but at least its fun! It goes anywhere, they only limitation is the width of the vehicle...and its not very wide! What I really want to do is put in a NP435 4speed so I can run a PTO wood splitter off it.

Nice little unit. I grew up with an 18hp model, looks alot like that size. Just 4ft wide this one was. It will do Ok in the woods. i really don't think you'll be able to pull more of a load than the Foreman. Both units will have plus and minus'.

As someone noted the bucket looks a little big. Be careful, these units are tippy with a bucket full of anything, other than leaves. Carrying a bucket load of wood out of the brush? If you're ground is uneven, you may fell the back tires getting light.

You may find the ground clearance may be an issue when you're in the woods. Just pick your spots to make trails.

One very big plus, sips the fuel. If it has a 3 point hitch, that will be nice to yard trees. Pick the butts up off the ground and go. If it's a sound machine, looks like a good price?

[The 4x4 unit weighs in at 1050 pounds.
/QUOTE]
The grapple on my loader weights 800lbs by itself. The whole rig weighing in at 1050 seems on the small side to do much. I've been using a tractor for several yrs to log out of woods and 2500-3000lbs lift capacity is a min for me. But I agree any loader is better than none. No matter what machine is being used there are limitations. Just have to work around them.

Get a bucket or forks for the 3 point.

Personally I would go with a minimum of 23 hp and a 3 cylinder diesel. I have a kubota BX2360 and love the functionality of this size tractor for getting in the woods and getting in tight places.

A good friend of mine has this same setup and LOVES it. Great machine IMO. Can't go wrong with a Kubota

What you gain in maneuverability you give up in every other category with a SCUT. If you really need THAT much maneuverability IN THE WOODS, then your woods need thinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.