How are the new Harman XXV's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJN644

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2007
Maine
Well due to long term back problems I have decided to give up fire wood. I think I can manage the 40 pound bags ok so I'm ready for a pellet stove in the house, I already have one in the shop. I think I want an XXV, my wood stove is an Oakwood and looks almost identical. I think the XXV would hook up with 6" pipe on my hearth just like the Oakwood.

So here's the question, I have learned that Harman has made some changes to the XXV recently. I have read at least one negative review since the change and was hoping recent buyers and dealers could comment on the new XXV.

My BIL has a 4 year old XXV and burns 4 tons a year through it, he has only changed a door gasket in it so far.

Ok, I know this is somewhat lame.......however I got my xxv in April 2009. It's worked perfectly as advertised and my wife and I have been very pleased with it. The thermostadt seems sensitive and accurate. It starts up all by itself. It shuts down when the house is warm enough. It's very quiet. The top load is easy for my wife to load. It cleans quickly and actually seems like it will hold a ton's worth of ashes in the ash container. It's very, very clean. I'm not used to the idea that we don't have wood scraps everywhere. That being said....I've only run 10 bags of pellets through it. The track record of 400 lbs. isn't a lot to go by. But, for what it's worth, that's been our experience so far. We've going to use it unless oil falls to a dollar a gallon. It's a very, very comfortable heat. It seems much warmer than our oil fired hot water baseboard system. Our stove has a manufacture date of February, 2009. Good luck either way

Close friend of mine got one last winter and it is awesome. Great heat output, easy to use and clean and quiet. I have a Quad Mt Vernon Insert which I love. If I was getting a freestanding, the XXV would be at the top of my list.

I have read at least one negative review since the change and was hoping recent buyers and dealers could comment on the new XXV.

Well, if you read a negative review, it was probably mine. I bought mine new in OCT.08 and it was the new design auger motor setup (direct drive) instead of chain drive. I had all kinds of problems with the auger and auger motors in mine. I finally got a new replacement from my dealer (great people) ESES and elected to go with the chain drive, since they had a couple old style left in stock. It has been rock solid, no problems at all. To be fair though, I may have had a bad one since I haven't heard much other discussion about problems with the new ones. I like the XXV so much that I bought another (used) one for my lower level..............

I bought mine and started using it in December 2008. I really like it and recommend it but I don't know if I can compare it to other stoves. Opinions here are worth getting but you're probably not working with a good sample. And there may not be a lot of consumer research to help you compare choices because the pellet stove industry may not be big enough for that.

I do not know if there is a difference between the new and the old XXV's but I know a guy who loves his.
He has had it at least 5 years. I wanted one but my Wife liked the looks of the P61 better.
If both have the same burn pot and same control board, then I would not hesitate getting one.
We had good luck with our P61 last year.

Hope this helps!
Good Luck!

Bought mine last summer and had it in for the "winta",worked great.One issue was the combution motor failed,evidently not un common.Dealer had in in stock,swaped it out myself and no charge for the part.Would buy XXV again.

Not sure what has changed on the new XXVs, but I have had mine since the
winter 2006-07 and it is a solid stove. I have had no issues with it other than
having to changing out the ignitor this spring.

the feeder box has been changed a bit to eliminate the chain drive. Now they are direct drive, similar to the P series stoves. ONly problem I saw was the first few units has some burrs on the slide plate that would squeak every now and again. Haven't seen this on any of the recent units. other than that I think the vacuum switch now takes its measurement from the hopper, not the air intake. All and all very little changed.

Thanks for all the replies. After some serious thought it came down to money in the end. The XXV is a beautifull stove but I bought a Harman P43 instead. I felt it would do the same heating job with all the automation and conviniences of a Harman, and it was $1200 less than the XXV.

BJN644 said:
Thanks for all the replies. After some serious thought it came down to money in the end. The XXV is a beautifull stove but I bought a Harman P43 instead. I felt it would do the same heating job with all the automation and conviniences of a Harman, and it was $1200 less than the XXV.

I believe I sold you that stove, buddy! hows it goin' did you get her touched off yet?

summit said:
BJN644 said:
Thanks for all the replies. After some serious thought it came down to money in the end. The XXV is a beautiful stove but I bought a Harman P43 instead. I felt it would do the same heating job with all the automation and conveniences of a Harman, and it was $1200 less than the XXV.

I believe I sold you that stove, buddy! hows it goin' did you get her touched off yet?

Works great!
Do you think someone might have a problem if they have to try out their new stove when it's 80 deg. outside?

I feel even better knowing you belong to this site, you know if I have to bug you about tweaking the new stove. You guys at Rocky's are great to deal with!

i am glad you are happy with the 43!! I have not had anyone dissapointed in it yet, and i previously owned a P38 (identical to what you have, but manual start/control), so i knew you would be good with it! and also, it is not wrong to give that bad boy a run before winter.. its new to you and you gotta try it out to learn how to work it.. whats a couple bags of pelles?! just don't overdo it and run thru half a ton before winter 'cause you like to screw w/ it! I did that all the time w/ mine.. adjusted feed rates, highs, lows, fans speeds... just watching it rip! its addicting!

Status
Not open for further replies.