How big is too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Locust Post said:
Where is your chaps at Scotty ? I had got out of the habit of wearing them every time but then the pics of the leg a couple weeks ago was a good reminder again.
Yeah, yeah...I know.. :sick: ...And BTW, was that you who had the incident??

Gary_602z said:
Well for our 30th. she said she want something that would go from 0-300 in under 6 seconds, so I bought her a bathroom scale! :lol: Did I mention that I call her the dragon lady

Gary
Gary, I'm pleading the 5th. She's probably a supermodel or cougar or something....I sure hope she has a sense of humor!

Scotty Overkill said:
Gary_602z said:
Well for our 30th. she said she want something that would go from 0-300 in under 6 seconds, so I bought her a bathroom scale! :lol: Did I mention that I call her the dragon lady

Gary
Gary, I'm pleading the 5th. She's probably a supermodel or cougar or something....I sure hope she has a sense of humor!

I hope he has a big doghouse or detached shed/garage w/ heat & AC. :lol:

Scotty Overkill said:
Locust Post said:
Where is your chaps at Scotty ? I had got out of the habit of wearing them every time but then the pics of the leg a couple weeks ago was a good reminder again.
Yeah, yeah...I know.. :sick: ...And BTW, was that you who had the incident??

That was not me Scotty. It was Steeltown. That was painful just to look at. I have put my chaps on every since.

This well this is to big(55 red oak).....32 inch is still a big tree but manageble 60-70cc saw or bigger. Hop you have a splitter to for the crouch wood?

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 249
Bigger is always better. Gives you an excuse to upgrade your equipment too! These 2 big boys were worth all the effort. Pic 2 was the old equipment, pic 3 was the equipment gained by the big tree excuse.

Attachments

• wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 212
  • tree8.jpg
    tree8.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Saw.jpg
    Saw.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 232
mywaynow said:
Bigger is always better. Gives you an excuse to upgrade your equipment too! , pic 3 was the equipment gained by the big tree excuse[/b].
Atta boy, MWN!! I am eyeing up a tree out our street (it's around a 80 foot catalpa, with at least an 7' diameter trunk). No, I do not want the wood, that will go to my BIL who can use it to heat his garage......I DO want an excuse to buy that 090AV! Sure, my 041AV Supers or the 075AV can easily handle that tree, but the wife doesn't know that!!! %-P

I learned that a sharp chain was essential for noodling. I had a load from a local tree guy in the driveway - 20ft long, 8ft wide and a couple "sticks" 5-6ft off the ground. The one "stick" at the high point...was easily4ft across. All of it was 6-10ft long.

It turned out to be around 6-7 cords...but it took a long time to cut into pieces I could move. I chose not to use the splitter in the driveway since I needed it off in case someone else had wood to drop. So sawing and noodling I put them into manageable sizes which I move with a hand truck. Probably about 50 pieces easy that I moved individually. It was a lot of work...but now all said and done - I have a lot of white oak waiting to see its maker...

The amount of splits from a single large round can be amazing. The loader bucket is from a SINGLE round.

Attachments

• easy1.jpg
    easy1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 158
Jags said:
The amount of splits from a single large round can be amazing. The loader bucket is from a SINGLE round.

Wish you leaved closer we would be Monster oak killers!

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I likes me some monsters:

Attachments

• logsplitter 001sm.jpg
    logsplitter 001sm.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 170
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Yea I dont mind cutting them, but gets nasty when noddle or moving it into the splitter. My back says Run Forest Run!

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

we need a new forum........MONSTER ROUNDS.…I'm getting ready to cut some here real soon. This year I'll be taking pics of those jobs, now that I know where to post them!!

smokinjay said:
Yea I dont mind cutting them, but gets nasty when noddle or moving it into the splitter. My back says Run Forest Run!

Why? White Oak rounds of that size can't weigh much over 500 pounds. :lol:

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I live halfway in between you 2, so I think maybe you guys should just bring that monster stuff to me :snake:

tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I live halfway in between you 2, so I think maybe you guys should just bring that monster stuff to me :snake:

I will cut it to any length you want. Then your on your own! :lol:

I've seen a few trees that were too big. But it sounds to me like if you split as you go it shouldn't be too bad. There are a lot of BTU's in a tree that size.

smokinjay said:
tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

15 in is perfect ;-P

tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
tfdchief said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

15 in is perfect ;-P

Should make that round under 400lbs at that length. Roll spin and split. Its just that simply! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.