How can I drill the lintel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
I'm trying to drill holes to install tapcons to secure my block off plate. On one side it lines up with lintel. My regular drills do nothing. Any tips on how to drill this?

20141121_193242.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Masonry bits. Oh, and they work best in a hammer drill, might be ok in a regular drill since you are doing 1-2 holes

Masonry bits. Oh, and they work best in a hammer drill, might be ok in a regular drill since you are doing 1-2 holes
I have a Masonary bit and hammer drill but I think I shouldn't use the Masonary bit to go through the steel...correct? Normal drill through the steel then switch to Masonary.....

If your talking about drilling the block then the above advice is spot on. If your having trouble with the steel you may need a carbide bit. You'd be surprised at the stuff folks made from bed frame steel.

Get a new, sharp bit. It should go through that metal pretty easily. Titanium coated bits work better.

Get a new, sharp bit. It should go through that metal pretty easily. Titanium coated bits work better.
Found an unused sharp drill and got it! Thanks.....I was using some POS drill.....

I just ran a bead of silicone along that part held great!

Status
Not open for further replies.