How can this be??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Ok, so I was paroosing the Avalon website (bored at work, not shopping)...The Olympic has a 3.1 cf box and the Arbor has a 2.3 cf box...Yet they both max at 12 hr burn times....Logical thinking is the bigger box gets the longer burns...What's up with that??

I would bet money the larger stove has a "higher" low btu output.

It's harder to make a bigger firebox burn clean so I'd bet that the large stove is fed more air on low, as certified suggests.

You can't really slow down the offgassing of a pile of wood. EPA non-cats only burn so long nomatter how big they are.

It's harder to make a bigger firebox burn clean so I'd bet that the large stove is fed more air on low, as certified suggests.

You can't really slow down the offgassing of a pile of wood. EPA non-cats only burn so long nomatter how big they are.

Usually the box that holds more fuel will burn longer.

Usually the box that holds more fuel will burn longer.

But not a direct relationship. a 2 CF firebox can burn 10 hours but a 3cf firebox can not burn for 15, not a 4 CF for 20. The point of this thread is that this relationship isn't linear as one would expect.

But not a direct relationship. a 2 CF firebox can burn 10 hours but a 3cf firebox can not burn for 15, not a 4 CF for 20. The point of this thread is that this relationship isn't linear as one would expect.

The point of this thread is questioning how a two different size stoves, using the same technology, from the same manufacturer have the same burn times. The answer is; they would not. The stove with the larger firebox will have the longer burn time.

Maybe the Olympic isn't actually 3.1? Also both stoves use different secondary burn systems, the Arbor is a down draft while the Olympic is a tube burner. Maybe the down draft has a slower burn?

Maybe the Olympic isn't actually 3.1? Also both stoves use different secondary burn systems, the Arbor is a down draft while the Olympic is a tube burner. Maybe the down draft has a slower burn?
What's a "down draft stove"?

The point of this thread is questioning how a two different size stoves, using the same technology, from the same manufacturer have the same burn times. The answer is; they would not. The stove with the larger firebox will have the longer burn time.
Do some stoves allow a little more air in when turned all the way down? I imagine some stoves control air differently than others.

The point of this thread is questioning how a two different size stoves, using the same technology, from the same manufacturer have the same burn times.

No different than the BK Sirocco and Princess, Princess is a cubic foot bigger and they have the same published burn times. I'd guess the heat output on low is not apples to apples.

It's not uncommon. For example, the mid-sized 2 cu ft PE stoves get equal if not somewhat longer burn times than their 3 cu ft stoves. Bigger stoves appear to have more open secondary

I don't know if the marketing is correct in this case, but the Avalon Olympic and the Arbor are two different secondary combustion designs. That may make the difference. Another example I can think of is that a 2 cu ft cat stove run on low heat may get a lot longer burn time than a 3 cu ft non-cat.

Definitely. Dump a full load of wood on a too hot coal bed and you are suddenly going to have a large outgassing event.

Status
Not open for further replies.