how cheap is too cheap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjung

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2009
central NY
Hi,

We have a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore in our downstairs apartment. It's refractory box is missing chunks and the repair estimate is $500-600. It's always been a difficult stove to rate and needs a lot of babysitting to burn efficiently. With those issues in mind plus the tax incentive, we are seriously looking into replacing the stove instead of repairing it.

Our primary concerns are cost (both initial purchase price & maintenance), efficiency, and safety. Looks are not nearly as important. After reading the various catalytic verses non-catalytic and cast iron verses steel threads on this forum and other results of google searches, my DH & I think a non-catalytic, steel wood stove is the way to go.

We've hit the local wood stove stores and the two big box places. The prices for the Home Despot (Englander 13 NCH) & Lowes (Summers Heat 50-SNC13LC) stoves are attractively priced (40% less than the most inexpensive model found at the wood stove stores) but we're wondering if they are too cheap. We both thought the door handle latches were rather cheesy and we noted some of the construction was sloppy in details (we could see a few of the end threads of the door gasket sticking out the side of the door when closed). My DH is concerned that the steel would be poor quality and the stove wouldn't last long. OTOH, according to some past threads on this forum, some folks really like the Summer's Heat / Englander stoves.

So some quick questions:

How long would a Englander/Summers Heat stove be expected to last? Does the steel stay sound or does it tend to warp? Do they maintain their high efficiency after the first year? Do they tend to need repairs and if so how hard are they to repair?

The "sloppy details" are the reason they cost less. That said, those stoves have put out a lot of heat for a lot of people. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

What is your flue setup like? Most stoves today (including the Englander stoves you are looking at) use a 6" flue, whereas the defiant encore has an 8" flue. You could use an 8" flue with an englander stove, but the draft may not be ideal.

Lots of stoves to look at out there and you should buy one you are comfortable with. If I had any reason to think that the U.S. made carbon steel in the Englander stove that is going into its fourth season heating this place wasn't top quality the stove never would have come through the front door. As to the gasket fibers. Snip. Snip. For a grand or more trimming it was not an issue for me. And when there was a defect in my original stove ESW never skipped a beat in replacing it. Unlike most of the stories about getting a dealer to take care of such a problem that I see on the Forum.

A cheaper price doesn't necessarily mean it will not be effective. Oftentimes you pay more for a nicer looking or fitted stove, but in terms of output and longevity it is the same as a big box stove. That said, be sure to do some research on the brands you want.

Folks here are assuming you know these are made by England Stove works. Made right here in the US of A. They have a very good reputation and are well represented on this sight for helpful information.

Have the chimney checked out to insure it will work for you, even call ESW tech support and get their opinion for your application.

As far as the mantle is concerned, you need to check for local fire codes and the manufacturers specs for distance to combustibles. If the mantle is an antique, this could be an issue. I would also suspect it wouldn't be a major issue to remove the shroud without completely removing the stove. Molding around the plate may be removable, or the plate often can be slid from the bottom enough to clear. I don't think a safe install by the former owners would have meant a large overlap, unless they also like aluminium wiring :bug:

Hope this helps your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.